Battery operated string trimmer
(04-25-2017, 01:23 PM)TroutStalker Wrote: I have an Ego 56v 15" trimmer from Home Depot. I'm very happy with it. Stay away from the 12" model though - it has lots of line feed problems.

I have this one too. The wife got it for me after seeing my frustration with my gas one all the time. Been using it a couple weeks and love it. Then I just see they came out with a system with attachments, trimmer, edger, etc.  I would have waited for that honestly... The thing with the regular trimmer is that the motor is in the head, so you can't detach it and put on an edger or whatever. 

That said, the thing is great. I went out the other morning to trim some new grass that was getting really tall (but didn't want to mow/disturb the seed), and because it was a little moist it looked like the grass was smoking, but it was mist. 

But if you already have a battery platform that can be used, I'd be tempted to go with that brand.
Benny

I have the 80-volt Kobalt string trimmer which I bought a month after getting the 80-volt Kobalt mower. They are both great. L-ion batteries charge in 30 minutes. I also bought the 80-volt blower a few months later. I love all three. Quiet and powerful! With all three I have 4 batteries and two chargers. I never run out of juice. I highly recommend them.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I have the DeWalt 20v, and while it is only 20v, it still does a fantastic job for me. I also have the 20v drill and driver and 3 spare batteries, but I've never needed more than 2, and I have quite a bit of trimming to do. Sometimes 1 battery gets it done if I don't have heavy edging to do.

The trimmer itself is pretty darn comfortable and light, and my 14 yr old son uses it easily. One thing that was a bit of a switch from our old gas trimmer is that the head on the DeWalt rotates counter-clockwise, not clockwise, as you are using it. Not that big of a deal, but you do have to get used to the debris coming at your left leg if that if your lead foot.

Not sure if that is the same for all battery trimmers...
" The founding fathers weren't trying to protect citizens' rights to have an interesting hobby." I Learn Each Day 1/18/13

www.RUSTHUNTER.com
I got a Makita trimmer.  It's pretty decent-- two major selling points for me.
  • it's an old school bump and feed line trimmer.  not this nonsense where it's spews off another 1/4" every time you pull the trigger.  i was going thru so much line on an old electric trimmer that i had....hated it.
  • uses the batteries that i have for my drill/impact/flashlights...etc.   I wasn't completely sold on battery operated, but every electric model had that auto line feed, which i hated... but also didn't want another battery system to keep charged-- always have a spare battery for the drills and such, ready to go.

Colin