Stair Lifts
Anybody have some first hand experience with stair lifts?  It looks likely that my mother-in-law may be moving in with us. Unfortunately, our house is a bi-level and she won't be able to manage the stairs. A few specific questions; should a guy consider buying used and self installing? Are certain brands more dependable than others? Anything I should either avoid or look for?
We had a local company quote us about $3000 for a new unit installed (Acorn, I think?) It seems like a lot of money to get up six steps, especially for a temporary situation. Most of what I've read dissuades the end user to self install. I understand the obvious need for safety and security, but it doesn't look like rocket science. I appreciate any advice - including whatever questions I was too stupid to ask.
Home made one with a Harbor Freight winch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqJl7_r-EE
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(04-25-2017, 02:42 PM)CLETUS Wrote: Home made one with a Harbor Freight winch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EqJl7_r-EE

That's pretty cool and he got actor John Goodman to provide narration.
I'm not saying you can't install an electric chair lift yourself, but it seems fairly complicated. I removed one from my daughter's house a year or so ago. It was heavy and the track had to be installed just so. I'm not afraid to tackle most jobs around the house but this is one I'd leave to the pros.
(04-25-2017, 02:26 PM)ed kerns Wrote: Anybody have some first hand experience with stair lifts?  It looks likely that my mother-in-law may be moving in with us. Unfortunately, our house is a bi-level and she won't be able to manage the stairs. A few specific questions; should a guy consider buying used and self installing? Are certain brands more dependable than others? Anything I should either avoid or look for?
We had a local company quote us about $3000 for a new unit installed (Acorn, I think?) It seems like a lot of money to get up six steps, especially for a temporary situation. Most of what I've read dissuades the end user to self install. I understand the obvious need for safety and security, but it doesn't look like rocket science. I appreciate any advice - including whatever questions I was too stupid to ask.

Isn't the lion's share of the cost paid for by Medicare and/or her medical insurance?

I think it is...

https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/patient-lifts.html
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
Would you want to be the one responsible for mom-in-law falling from a defectively installed lift? How exactly would you apologize to your wife? I'm writing a check if it has to happen. Don't care what the savings. $3k installed, to me, seems cheap. Obviously pursue medicare and other avenues, but I'm not doing a self-install.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
Thanks guys. I was told by the seller/installer that medicare would not pay for any of the cost, but I will certainly look into it. Maybe it's because it's my house and not her's that is the issue.
You hit the nail on the head with the 'how much is the safety of my wife's mom worth' argument. Obviously priceless, although that basic argument can be extended to so many things in life. I built my house, but I'm not a professional builder, work on my car, although I am not a mechanic. I built the stairs that the track will attach to.
It's a matter of degree. I'd like to think I'm competent enough to complete most jobs and smart enough to seek professional help if I'm not. All that said, I'm a believer in hiring a pro when the situation calls for it and maybe this does. Thanks for the Harbor Freight links, but pretty sure mom is worth at least Craftsman quality
Winkgrin .
I installed a lot of them, 25 years ago.
Random thoughts-
3K sounds about right-a friend of mine had one put in 10 years ago, for his MIL, and it cost him about that.

Straight runs aren't too bad, probably within the capability of a DIYer.
It really helps if you can be the one who does the removal-so you can see how it all goes together.
Straight runs-most are aluminum track-and fairly easily cut to length.
it is important that the track not present a trip hazard at the bottom-like sticking out into a doorway, and be long enough so the seat is well clear of the stairs at the top.

Acorn and Bruno are good brands-been around for quite some time. They make a couple different models-some straight, some will go around corners-of course, they are more $$.
Regardless of brand-you want an installer who will be around when you need it serviced-and you will, at some point.

Some use a power cable on a reel, to get power to the motor, in the seat, while others have a battery, that provides power, in the seat-and automatically charges when the seat is parked at the top or the bottom. Battery is a nice feature, if you're subject to power outages.

You might ask whoever you are thinking about buying from if they would install a used one-there are several on ebay-but shipping might kill the deal.
Another suggestion would be to check with local groups like MDA, MS society, American Cancer society, United Cerebral Palsy- Many of these accept equipment donations, and sometimes they get stairlifts donated, and are only too happy to give them away, as they are hard to store/handle.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck
One more thing-Medicare won't cover it.
They hold tight to the requirement of "medical necessity", and it is not considered medically necessary to go up/down stairs.
edit to add-the link above referring to patient lift-refers to those lifts used to lift a person in/out of bed, onto toilet, etc.
they often resemble an engine hoist.
Thanks ringuy! Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. When it all boils down, I'll probably just write the check. I'm just considering options. As I mentioned, mine is a straight run of 6 steps and to one degree or another my need is temporary. It makes me think about saving money if that makes sense. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.