So much for the warranty
Last Fall my neighbor's roof sprung a leak. First suspect was Solar installation. Solar OK. Roofer comes out, finds defective flashing. While there inspects roofing material — 3 tab asphalt — suspects defective material. Laboratory confirms defective. Roofing material manufacture gives neighbor a 15 year credit. Neighbor pays the difference and all labor including solar. Today's roof costing more than the original roof.  So much for the warranty.
It's been said may times by many people that roof manufacturers almost never ever pay out. Always consider asphalt roofing to be as is where is no warranty. 

That said if a roof is papered properly you shouldn't even notice a bad shingle issue for a very long time anyway as the paper/flashing will protect the roof. Cover it in ice and water shield and the shingles are just for looks.

Any time we re roof it's always with metal. One time roof and done and keeps the house cooler. We just need a hail storm so we can replace ours...
So they were surprised???? Sounds like the way things work to me.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I wouldn't have been satisfied with that deal.