Jeep roof rack planning.
Obviously you are not familiar with Baltic Birch properties. I build kayaks from this stuff!

If I wanted a metal platform I would just buy one. I am woodworker and when I get it done I will post some photos and show you how a wood worker builds a platform
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight kayaks

Ouch!
(04-28-2017, 06:38 AM)Kudzu Wrote: Obviously you are not familiar with Baltic Birch properties. I build kayaks from this stuff!

If I wanted a metal platform I would just buy one. I am woodworker and when I get it done I will post some photos and show you how a wood worker builds a platform

Fine.  You build kayaks with this stuff (probably covered with fiberglass).  But what advantages does it hold over exterior grade ply in this application other than coming in 5 foot widths?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Check out JC Whitney. They carry lots of racks. Most are for Wranglers, but they have others for SUVs.

Better than re-inventing the wheel.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I finished the roof rack, made a video of the finished platform. I tested it last week and am happy with the results. Need to add a coat or two of no-slip paint but otherwise it seems to be just right. May rebuild the ladder to make access a little easier and safer but will use ia while first.  

https://youtu.be/yvJIh7SHYl4

FAIR WARNING  I made the video under my boat business name so it does include advertisement in it.
I have found how much a boat is used is inversely related to how much it weighs.

Nice job, well done and well thought out, I'm sure it will help with your photography.  

One thing I noticed is that you had to make some effort to reach the first rung to climb the ladder, and while its not a flaw, we're all getting older 
Laugh and the "mounting" will get harder for you with time.  I'm thinking that when you designed it you wanted to keep the ladder short to fit in your trunk, so why not make a short hinged extension, sort of like those on drop down attic stairs, to get it closer to the ground so you don't have to make that big first step?
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Then you have unsupported ladder hanging in the air, there is nothing to support the ladder against.  The ground is not in the same place unless you are sitting in a parking lot.  I had to pull up my pants, the fabric was binding around my knee.

Pretty nice rack and those are nice kayaks as well! We will be needing a roof rack as well for the Wrangler and something that can let anyone sit on is comfortably is a plus. Just needed to finish installing these smittybilt stuff before I will order a rack. I like your idea of a ladder, too!
I would up my ante on the wood selections and only cry once. Ipe, Brazilian rosewood, teak, or a similar wood popular with boat builders and high end exterior decks. It will cost more but last longer and also look stunning.

The finished product will also function as a tropical roof (old Landrovers used to have these).  It effectively places the cabin in the shade and will reduce the interior cabin temperature on sunny days.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.