Replacing a garage door opener
Hola All,

My garage door opener stopped working. It is fairly old so I am not really surprised. Sears and HD have openers for about $150. The opener is the chain driven variety. I have not replaced a garage door opener before but how difficult can it be? Remove the existing opener, unhook the chain and install the new opener and reattach the chain...? Is there more to it? My current opener is a Sears 1/2 HP if that matters.

Thanks, Bill
If your opener is old and you can't figure out why it's not working, you'll probably have to install a new opener and rail. I doubt that you'll be able to find a new head unit that is compatible with your existing rail.

I've replaced quite a few. My last one was this Chamberlain belt-drive opener from Home Depot. It's very quiet. Gets good reviews.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Chamberlain-W.../203790226

Watch some videos. Chamberlain is good about answering installation questions at their 800 number.

https://www.chamberlain.com/parts-and-su...ort-videos
(04-26-2017, 12:34 PM)bpatters69 Wrote: Hola All,

My garage door opener stopped working. It is fairly old so I am not really surprised. Sears and HD have openers for about $150. The opener is the chain driven variety. I have not replaced a garage door opener before but how difficult can it be? Remove the existing opener, unhook the chain and install the new opener and reattach the chain...? Is there more to it? My current opener is a Sears 1/2 HP if that matters.

Thanks, Bill

Your description sounds like you are thinking just replacing the motor part of the opener.   A new opener comes with all the parts, chain or belt, rails, door attachment, safety sensors and various other parts.   Some of these parts only go with a certain make an model opener.    Check out the video in the link on previous post.      Not hard at all but will take some time.    Roly
(04-26-2017, 12:55 PM)Lynden Wrote: ... I doubt that you'll be able to find a new head unit that is compatible with your existing rail.

I've replaced quite a few...

+1, I've probably installed about 8... all made by Chamberlain, sold by Sears.

And Lynden's right... The last one, an "exact" replacement model, had a completely different rail system.
[Image: usa-flag-waving-united-states-of-america...if-clr.gif]
I read it as he would replace the whole thing. It is not difficult, but you should own a step ladder so you can rest the head unit on it.

Generally, the plastic gears strip. They are replaceable, but if the unit is old, no since in doing so.

As usual, I'll recommend spending more money and getting a LiftMaster Jackshaft opener instead. Takes up way less room and is quieter. It is about twice the price, however.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
At the very least skip the chain drive models and go with a belt drive. But whatever you choose, it won't be hard to do...someone said have a step ladder to rest the head on. That's an important suggestion, don't forget it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Had a Sears opener in this house--no remote, chain drive and noisy.

Replaced it with a Chamberlain belt drive(HD)---much quieter.

Used the old mounted hardware(had to shim for the motor mounting in the existing mounting brackets) but used the existing door hardware.

Used a 1/2hp motor since a torsion spring broke(old opener) and I had both replaced, so 1/2 hp was good enough for a 1965 wooden garage door(Heavy!!!!)
Lift master/chamberlain make most of them out there including sears. Lift master bought chamberlain. 

The belt drive and chain drives of theirs are the same opener. The only difference is the belt is a belt and the chain is half chain and half cable. The cable runs through the pulley at the front. Sound wise they are virtually identical. The only noise a chain drive will make is from the chain passing over the drive sprocket and it's very quiet. 

The chain drives that get a bad rap are the genie ones that push a chain down an aluminum track. They are junk and they used to use a plastic tape instead...  Just stay away from genie and it'll be quiet. 

I replaced lomls mom's opener the last trip to Cleveland in February. It was the genie chain pusher and very noisy. I put in the chamberlain one from depot with the wifi etc. It's really nice that any of us can open her garage if she gets locked out or there is an emergency and someone needs to get in. 

As for replacement, just follow the instructions. The only issue is that some aare improperly assembled at the factory and you end up moving the belt after install. The current units also have a screwy up and down stop system. I prefer switches...
Thanks.. yes, I was thinking I only needed to replace the motorized part of the door. The actual door, springs, rail, etc., I was thinking I could reuse.
I like the idea of the battery powered openers.  They are constantly charged but when you have a power outage they still work.  (We still get lots of power outages in our area as they don't do enough tree trimming).
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.