Handworks 2017 in Iowa
(04-28-2017, 09:47 AM)Admiral Wrote: Last similar event in the northeast that I can remember was PW's Woodworking in America, held in Phila at Valley Forge PA in 2009.  I went to that one.

I don't even think I was even thinking about woodworking then, I didn't even buy my house till 2010 so maybe around 2011-2012 I started. The closest thing I get to woodworking show near me is the one held by the WW assoc., but it's fairly small and has more vendors than demonstrators. I'd love it if Woodworking in America came up to PA.
Don't hold your breath.  WIA involves a lot of logistics and expense for PW, and they've seemed to hold it in low cost areas, which I get.  They did go to NC a couple of years ago, which I thought about going to, but lately its been in Cincy, local to PW, and I get that too, as PW is not an eleemosynary institution.  Also interesting is that there's no real woodworking stores in NJ, no Woodcraft, Rockler, etc. so maybe that says something.  Closest thing is TFWW in Brooklyn, (but that is a PITA to get to from Jersey, plus the toll on the Verrazano bridge is $16) and then two Woodcraft stores, one in Allentown PA and the other in the Phila suburbs.  So NJ is a woodworking wasteland.  You'd think that with about 9 million people in NJ someone would recognize the market.  But there's the internet, which is how I get most of the stuff I need.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Yeah I hear you, I live way up in north eastern NY, where there's a whole lot of nothing, Best woodworking store I have near me is a Curtis Lumber, Rockler at it's closest is probably 4-5 hours away and Woodcraft too. Eh hopefully Schwarz is still doing this when I retire in like 20 years then I'll fly over to Handworks and then drive down to his storefront in Kentucky.
I'm going for the third time.  This event is like no other.  It's only problem is success...there's only one Amana, IA (well, there are actually little "Amanas" laid out like a necklace) and it can only hold so many vendors and attendees.  Last time, Saturday was almost too crowded to enjoy the the scope of the Festhalle Barn, the main building.  Fortunately they have spread out to some nearby buildings for this year.  Hotels are a problem too.  I'm driving 30 minutes to my hotel and I reserved last September.
Two issues lead me to not going.

2500+ miles (I can't fly anymore.)
Chris Schwarz, no less, complained about the mob scene. Can't move.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Yes, I will be going on Friday.  Taking two of my best friends, who are not woodworkers, with me.   Pardon me for gloating that the premier hand tool show in the country is only three hours away from me, not somewhere out on either coast.  As far as the crowds go, they are no worse than any other large event [ever been to the Electronics show in Vegas or the RC Model show in Toledo?]   Hopefully I will get see some of you there
Big Grin .
(04-27-2017, 06:48 PM)Admiral Wrote: Not so convenient for east coast guys. Can't justify the drive.

This East coast guy can't justify the drive either, but I can certainly justify the flight. Especially since there's no admission cost.

I went for the first time in 2015. It was great, even with how crowded it got at times.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog
I went to the first one and will go again this year. For me, one of the highlights of the show was getting to meet Ron and try out his planes.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
I'm quite certain Ron doesn't remember me, there were far too many people. I did meet him and tried out his planes. You won't find a nicer guy or better planes.
He does indeed make some beautiful planes.
Nice area with lots of friendly folks and outside shops to boot.
Enjoy.
Smile
BontzSawWorks.net