Handworks 2017 in Iowa
I think I'll be going on Saturday with my dad and possibly my brother.
I absolutely hate crowds, but with only living 1.5 hrs. away, I'd probably kick myself for not going.
I'm so looking forward to it that I'm willing to spend a total of 16 hours in the car with ... no wait... that would be mean. Anyway, I'll be there!
(05-09-2017, 10:39 AM)elinourrumming Wrote: I'm so looking forward to it that I'm willing to spend a total of 16 hours in the car with ... no wait... that would be mean. Anyway, I'll be there!

Well, after all, that's the round trip, you get a break in between...... it would be 16 hours one way for me......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Has anyone heard more about the idea floated way back by Rob Lee that the new Veritas Large Plow Plane might be shown in Amana?  If I remember correctly, the scheme was that orders would be taken for fall delivery, and in turn there would be a price incentive.  Rob had commented that this would help offset the tooling costs.  As I said, this was awhile ago, and there has been very little mention of it since.
Here's a quote from Rob Lee on 9 May 2017 on Sawmill Creek, with regard to the large plow:

"Yes, we're still on track for release by fall. No marketing info released yet though....

Cheers,

Rob"

I interpret the "no marketing info released" to say that you should not count on seeing the large plow at Amana.  But you might. If I recall correctly, the Veritas shooting plane was unveiled as a 3D printed mock-up at Amana.

p.s. It's not a perfect quote.  I fixed a typo because I couldn't help it.
I guess I am going again this year. I will be wearing a burgundy tee shirt with Tablesawtom  in white letters on the back. Say high if you get a chance.

Tom
Just curious, what exactly happens at this event?

I went to the website and all it lists is where different vendors are at the different sites and Roy's appearance.   From that it just looks like a large handtools sales event.  It should provide a great place to look at and test tools that I usually only see online and read about in reviews.

Scott
(05-17-2017, 10:34 AM)ScotchPine Wrote: Just curious, what exactly happens at this event?

I went to the website and all it lists is where different vendors are at the different sites and Roy's appearance.   From that it just looks like a large handtools sales event.  It should provide a great place to look at and test tools that I usually only see online and read about in reviews.

Scott

Yes.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I thought I was going Saturday but it will be Friday instead.

Tom
You can meet the people who designed and made the tools, and try them out. You can also meet and talk to authors of diverse books, and teachers at various woodworking schools, many of whom will have some sort of demo project underway. If you are thinking of taking a class of some sort, this is a great place to find out which one you want.

Rather than classes, at Amana you wind up with many very short tutorials taught by people who really know their stuff. Just ask a question and see what happens.

Pretty much anyone you speak to will be interested in hand tool woodworking, and is likely to be interesting by my standards.