This is a small sampling of what I will have on my bench at Handworks,

Ron

[Image: hwws1.jpg]

[Image: hwws4.jpg]

[Image: hwws6.jpg]

[Image: mejack1.jpg]
"which plane should I use for this task?......the sharp one"

http://www.breseplane.blogspot.com/
Does the Colony still have public cafes and kitchens? It was something my parents talked about, before my time. Never did go there when I lived in Iowa, with my parents.
If you see a Brown Ford Expedition with the hatch open, please say hello.  I try to park across from the abrn doors.    Bill
As usual it goes without saying how beautiful your planes are. The antique brass blends nicely with the wood and steel.
I am not a big fan of the woodies, per say, but that one is quite exquisite. My compliments.
BontzSawWorks.net
As usual it was a great day even with bad weather. Lots of electricity in the air, everyone had smiles on their faces. Even the wife's were smiling as the husbands were buying tools, really.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Slav's characterization of Handworks is right on.  It was a very uplifting experience.  The setting in the Amana Colonies is truly unique and very much a part of the overall feeling of crafting wood with hand tools.  Yes, there were times when the crowd was overwhelming, but there were also many opportunities to engage directly with the people that bring their scope of products and skills to show.  

I found it very interesting that Handworks is second only to Oktoberfest as a draw for visitors to Amana.  In other words, hand tools are a big deal and people who like to use them are pretty good folks to be around.  

This news came to me second hand:  WIA is not being held this year and perhaps will alternate with Handworks every-other-year format.  There was quite a bit of forum talk from folks on either coast being deprived access to either of these events.  Trouble is, when shows go to the coasts they seem to cut off most of the balance of the country, so attendance is usually mediocre.  Beside that unfortunate outcome, there is only one Amana and the people responsible for making this event happen live nearby, and make it all happen while having to run a very substantial business...and they let you attend for nothing.  Let's just hope there is another Handwork two years from now.
Orchestrating/ coordinating either event is no doubt a daunting task. I would think having a location somewhere near the middle of the country would attract the most attendees, but I suspect much depends on the demographics of the areas.
BontzSawWorks.net
Same here! I live on Long Island and as far as I know there isn't a woodworking supply store on the whole island! We used to have two Woodworkers Warehouse stores but they closed just when I got into woodworking. My brother in law and I keep talking about opening up a store and school type place here but first I have to retire from my day job. 8 million people must need at least one woodworking store, right?
I can readily see that Amana has a totally unique setting for this type of event; but frankly, and with no offense, its in the middle of the country and even then only marginally convenient to one large population demographic, i.e., Chicago.  Northern California is a natural location, as is Southern New England/Mid-Atlantic, both by population demographic and relative convenience  to quite large population centers they greatly exceed Iowa, or for that matter, Cincinnati.  For example, Shaker Hancock Village or artsy places in upstate NY (Saratoga, etc.) come to mind. All I know is that a 15 hour drive each way, or spending $800 on airfare (likely worse for the west coast), and then a rental car to drive another hour, make little sense to me notwithstanding the event is free.

I recognize these things are hard to organize, costs are an issue, and perhaps population density does not jive with the number of woodworker enthusiasts in a given demographic population.  But I think the organizers are missing the boat not hitting the two coasts as lots of folks want fine tools and in these areas have the inclination as well as the dough to buy them.  In NYC, for example, there is a vibrant hobbyist woodworker community in work spaces, etc., that TFWW serves quite well, and in urban areas people gravitate to hand tool use for reasons of space and noise.  Sooner or later it will happen, I'll wait patiently.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-25-2017, 03:27 PM)Admiral Wrote: All I know is that a 15 hour drive each way, or spending $800 on airfare (likely worse for the west coast), and then a rental car to drive another hour, make little sense to me notwithstanding the event is free.

Airfare and rental car for me was $450 combined, flying Newark to O'Hare to Cedar Rapids. Driving from the airport to where Handworks was located was less than 30 minutes. Maybe $450 is a lot of money, but it's not $800.

I wouldn't do the drive.

Regardless, Handworks was very well attended. If anything, more people than last time around thought that the travel costs were well worthwhile.
Hail St. Roy, Full of Grace, The Schwarz is with thee.
Blessed art thou among woodworkers, and blessed is the fruit of thy saw, dovetails.
Holy St. Roy, Master of Chisels, pray for us sharpeners now, and at the hour of planing.
Amen.
$300 is a lot of Money!
giant Cypress: Japanese tool blog