Handworks 2017 in Iowa
  Re: Handworks 2017 in Iowa by mebert (Anyone attending Han...)
(05-25-2017, 04:37 PM)Wilbur Pan Wrote:  Maybe $450 is a lot of money, but it's not $800.

Ha, ha, well as you've said before, "$300 is a lot of money"

Again, I'll be patient, eventually something will happen closer to home.
Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
No Evaporust was used on these tools.
(05-25-2017, 04:27 PM)Admiral Wrote:   Sooner or later it will happen, I'll wait patiently.

It is nothing but just a consumerism event billed romantically as something else. Wait patiently? So will I.

Simon
Well, no. I can't agree with that at all. It's a place where many independent toolmakers get to strut their stuff and sell their goods, which for me is a good thing as it keeps them in business and gives all of us choices. Plus, most of those makers are great guys to boot.
Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
No Evaporust was used on these tools.
Please feel free to disagree, but to me toolmakers from around the world gathering to showcase and sell their products while demonstrating along were exactly about sales (and consumerism). If these artisans and companies gathered to show tool skills or making of tools without taking any orders (which of course was impractical because to go to the event cost everyone money), then I would not consider it a tool sales event. I am not belittling anyone or the event and I would have attended it if it wasn't 1,000 miles away. There is nothing wrong for makers to sell and attendees to buy, but I would call a spade a spade.

Simon
When Benchcrafted moves from Cedar Rapids , IA (never) to one of the coasts then you guys may see a Handworks.   Meanwhile, you get the oceans and we have Amana.  WIA tried coastal venues and you didn't show up.  The first person I met when I arrived in Amana had driven 700 miles to get there.  Stop whining! Laugh

...and yes, it is a tool sales event. Everyone there knows that. Most tools are made to be sold to someone else. There was no extra charge for learning how to use it while buying it. If I remember correctly you have to pay just to see the tools at most events and the instruction comes at a hefty fee too...over four hundred bucks at an event I shall not name.