Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press?
Has anyone here purchased a Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press? One of the tools I still need to replace is a drill press. I had a Griz G7948 20" in my old shop and of all the Grizzly tools I have ever owned, it is the only one I have ever been totally disappointed with. I want my next DP to be variable speed and I've pretty much reached the conclusion that all the Chiwanese VS DPs are sloppy. Even the PM2800B seems to get panned fairly often in reviews. 

If you have a Nova Voyager DVR DP I'd really like to know what you think about this machine. If you have some other VS DP tell me what you like/dislike about the one you own. For all you lucky SOBs that have a Clausing VS DP I'll have to just be jealous. Even a good used one is probably out of my price range.

Tom
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Press looks awesome, kinda gimicky, but very cool.  IMO they priced it well... just out of reach for me, but close enough to make me fondle it every time I pass it on the floor.

I mean, it's more $ than the PM... the gold standard...

I think most argue the Jet with the big table is the better buy in a new press.  And most argue further that old USA cast iron is better still.
(04-29-2017, 07:35 AM)Strokes77 Wrote: Press looks awesome, kinda gimicky, but very cool.  IMO they priced it well... just out of reach for me, but close enough to make me fondle it every time I pass it on the floor.

I mean, it's more $ than the PM... the gold standard...

I think most argue the Jet with the big table is the better buy in a new press.  And most argue further that old USA cast iron is better still.

The Nova goes on sale periodically for 1299 so comparable in price to the PM then. I can wait for a sale. I'd just like to hear from someone that's taken the plunge and bought one before I commit. The Jet is my second choice at this point but it's more expensive than the Nova.
I cant speak to the Nova DVR, but I can certainly endorse variable speed on a drill press.

I have a Delta 17" with the T slots machined into the table, and the cutout for a wood insert in the center, its definitely a woodworkers drill press, but it came originally with the standard pulley setup for changing speeds.

I had it home less than 24 hours before pulling the motor off and replacing it with a treadmill motor and controller.

I have a Rheostat on the front of the top cover that allows my to turn the spindle speed from about 30 rpm up to 1500 rpm.

I also still have the belts in place should I want a higher speed, but I haven't needed to move a belt in the past 8 years.

Duke
It's so new there may be a shortage of owners still. I know Handi had one and did some posting about it. I'm watching this with interest since it does have a lot of desirable features. Even so, I hate to be among the first to own anything, best to wait a short while and let any bugs get worked out on some other person's dime.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
We've had one in the PopWood shop for about 8 months now (we also have a PM), and it's usually the one I go to. The only "trouble" we've really had is stalling it in 2"-thick fairly wet stock during a chair build – but after backing the Forstner out of the cut, it then handled the rest of the cut with no trouble. (And it may have been a user error/workpiece shift that caused the stall). I like it most because it's so very quiet  (and it's nice to be able to set the bit speed and depth with little fuss, after you get used to how to program it).
(05-01-2017, 01:45 PM)elinourrumming Wrote: We've had one in the PopWood shop for about 8 months now (we also have a PM), and it's usually the one I go to. The only "trouble" we've really had is stalling it in 2"-thick fairly wet stock during a chair build – but after backing the Forstner out of the cut, it then handled the rest of the cut with no trouble. (And it may have been a user error/workpiece shift that caused the stall). I like it most because it's so very quiet  (and it's nice to be able to set the bit speed and depth with little fuss, after you get used to how to program it).

Thanks for the comments elinourrumming. So far I haven't come up with a reason not to buy it other than it's not on sale right now.
(04-29-2017, 07:01 AM)teetomterrific Wrote: Has anyone here purchased a Nova Voyager DVR Drill Press? One of the tools I still need to replace is a drill press. I had a Griz G7948 20" in my old shop and of all the Grizzly tools I have ever owned, it is the only one I have ever been totally disappointed with. I want my next DP to be variable speed and I've pretty much reached the conclusion that all the Chiwanese VS DPs are sloppy. Even the PM2800B seems to get panned fairly often in reviews. 

If you have a Nova Voyager DVR DP I'd really like to know what you think about this machine. If you have some other VS DP tell me what you like/dislike about the one you own. For all you lucky SOBs that have a Clausing VS DP I'll have to just be jealous. Even a good used one is probably out of my price range.

Tom

Tom
  I just got one of the Nova DVR lathes about a month or so ago.  I can't speak to the DP function, but as the lathe prime mover it is pretty sweet.   EVERYTHING on it is computer controlled which is good as long as the computer runs and bad if/when it doesnt.  As long as you are comfortable with punching everything up on the keypad, then you will be happy.  As mentioned, it is very quiet, as it should be, its direct drive.

But 1300 or whatever they go for is pricey for a press, and there are plenty of high end older machines out there with VS that should go for much less.  And since you mentioned it, here is mine.  

[Image: 7BBTbPlUEYbqyp7KZEfk20ToDZVzsJQSmsj-W621...59-h988-no]