Has anyone here seem maple like this?
Shocked 
I have some maple blocks that have been outside for a few years and they have developed some unusual markings. There are white spots and streaks that do not look like anything I have seen. I don't think it is rotten because the white spots are as solid as the unaffected wood. Take a look and let me know what you think.
Tim.

Attached Files Image(s)

Seven days without turning makes one weak.
Are there any small holes in the underside of whatever was stacked on top of them?
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
No holes at all. They are definitely not worm tracks.
(04-29-2017, 06:29 PM)Tim Wrote: No holes at all. They are definitely not worm tracks.

Okay. I got nothin'. 

In the pictures, it looked a bit like fine frass that worked its way down into the rough surface.

I'll be curious what anyone else has to suggest.

If you don't get a good answer soon, you might try posting the question and pics up in woodworking. It likely would get a broader audience if the flat-work folks are included. just a thought
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Thank you for replying Iclark. I had an answer from another wood turning site that said it looks like "white rot". It could be it because it was out in the weather for quite awhile. It is as solid as the unaffected wood so I am sure it did not damage or soften the wood. Just looks different, but I'm not too sure I like the way it looks. I'll have to see if it looks good after I turn it into a project, either pen, seam ripper, scratch awl or game call, to name a few.
Tim.
A possibility.  Quilted maple, quartersawn?  The pattern reminds me a little of quartersawn oak.
Early stages of rot. Its not punky, yet...but I bet if you left it out another year it would get there.....

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

I also was going to say punky wood since I had some like that but it was soft.  I think Packerguy is on to something there.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Yep.  I see it in firewood frequently.  On its way to rot.
(04-30-2017, 04:41 AM)badwhiskey Wrote: Yep.  I see it in firewood frequently.  On its way to rot.

From somewhere down in the stack where it's not allowed to dry out.  Spalting doesn't have to involve zone lines, though that's what is most desirable visually.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.