Bandsaw Motor Quit
I tried using my Jet 14" open stand bandsaw to resaw some boards in half, and the motor worked for about 12" and then quit. There were some blueish sparks internally as I first started to cut but only once then it was sawing along. Suddenly it stopped and the motor only "hums" now.

I'm guessing the motor is toast at this point. It's a 3/4hp motor that struggles to resaw so I am thinking that if I replace it, might as well go with a bigger motor.

I do not use the bandsaw much at all and only to resaw when I do. Does anyone know of an economical motor that would replace the existing and double the hp? Is it even worth replacing the motor on this thing? The saw is in great shape other than the motor and I bought it years ago for $175.

I did a quick search for motors at grizzly and the larger motors are plus $200. Harbor Freight has a 3hp 'compressor duty' motor for under $200 including shipping. I realize it is a Chinese junker, but since I only use the bandsaw 3-4 times a year, would this be worth it?

Thanks
Jim
If you're resawing with it, and feel it's not powerful enough, you're probably already pushing it way beyond its 3/4 hp continous output rating. A 1-1/2 or 2 hp would be perfectly reasonable in your situation. At least then, if you work it as hard as you normally do, the motor won't be overloaded, and should last longer.

I don't know anything about the generic HF motors, but many of their motor driven machines seem to last (like the ubiquitous 2 hp HFDC), and they're certainly cheap to buy.

Do watch the location of the capacitor hump(s), as the Delta units (for instance), with the open stand and the motor next to the saw on the left side, have non-standard capacitor locations for clearance. If you match NEMA frame size, the shaft size, location, and mounting feet hole locations should match exactly.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(04-30-2017, 09:20 AM)jamesglenn Wrote: I tried using my Jet 14" open stand bandsaw to resaw some boards in half, and the motor worked for about 12" and then quit. There were some blueish sparks internally as I first started to cut but only once then it was sawing along. Suddenly it stopped and the motor only "hums" now.

I'm guessing the motor is toast at this point. It's a 3/4hp motor that struggles to resaw so I am thinking that if I replace it, might as well go with a bigger motor.

I do not use the bandsaw much at all and only to resaw when I do. Does anyone know of an economical motor that would replace the existing and double the hp? Is it even worth replacing the motor on this thing? The saw is in great shape other than the motor and I bought it years ago for $175.

I did a quick search for motors at grizzly and the larger motors are plus $200. Harbor Freight has a 3hp 'compressor duty' motor for under $200 including shipping. I realize it is a Chinese junker, but since I only use the bandsaw 3-4 times a year, would this be worth it?

Thanks
Jim

Sounds like you toasted the capacitor.  Not sure if you're  start only, or run/start, but when you look, low capacitance -30-70- is start/run, higher is start.  Also, if start, it'll spin if you give it a manual spin at the beginning.  I've got a 3/4 on my 14", and I just use a slower speed on the wet nasty or tough stuff.  May I suggest whichever motor you get should have a thermal overload relay?

NB : More than 1HP seldom used with a single belt.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
I slapped a harbor freight 3 hp motor you referring to in mine after the old motor quit. No complaints. It was 3450 rpm though so I had to calculate the right size pillows to slow down rotation.

Nice thing about harbor freight motor was it was under $200 with a no questioned asked 3 year warranty after coupon. Can't bat that especially if you are o my occasionally using it.