Electrical Question
15 year old roof ventilation fan's motor died, got replacement motor specific to the originally installed motor. Dead motor had electrical connection with BX cable which served as a ground, replacement just has hot and neutral wires. Do I really need to jury rig up a ground, as anyone going up to the top of the  roof to work on it will cut the power, I put in a cutoff switch when installed.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I wouldn't.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
The ground is thru the b/x. Unscrew it from the old fan, and screw it onto the new motor.
It threads onto a nipple that sticks off the motor.
Lefty loosey.
You will have to do the same for the blade on the motor too.

HTH.
(05-01-2017, 01:59 AM)Herb G Wrote: The ground is thru the b/x. Unscrew it from the old fan, and screw it onto the new motor.
It threads onto a nipple that sticks off the motor.
Lefty loosey.
You will have to do the same for the blade on the motor too.

HTH.

True, but that's the thing, the 2 wire cable coming out of the new motor has no bx connection, just a rubber plug, so I couldn't do that.  I'd have to hard wire it.  And the original motor had no bx connector either, the bx just came out of the motor, must have been mechanically fixed from the inside and I wasn't going to disassemble the motor standing on the very tippity top of an 7' stepladder over 12' in the air (it would have been interesting to say the least) as I couldn't get a regular ladder into the attic.
(05-01-2017, 07:21 AM)Admiral Wrote: True, but that's the thing, the 2 wire cable coming out of the new motor has no bx connection, just a rubber plug, so I couldn't do that.  I'd have to hard wire it.  And the original motor had no bx connector either, the bx just came out of the motor, must have been mechanically fixed from the inside and I wasn't going to disassemble the motor standing on the very tippity top of an 7' stepladder over 12' in the air (it would have been interesting to say the least) as I couldn't get a regular ladder into the attic.

Quit yer whining and get up that ladder and get'er done!  
Laugh
(05-01-2017, 08:28 AM)daddo Wrote:  Quit yer whining and get up that ladder and get'er done!  
Laugh

LOL, hey, I'm 64 and have no business standing on the top of that teetering stepladder sweating my keister off!  
Laugh
Just swap it out and be dome with it. Not really a big deal.

If its old enogh to have bx then its time to replace the whole thing anyway as it went away in the late 50s early 60s.
(05-01-2017, 09:17 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Just swap it out and be dome with it. Not really a big deal.

If its old enogh to have bx then its time to replace the whole thing anyway as it went away in the late 50s early 60s.

You can still get BX cable along with MX that has a ground wire
(05-01-2017, 09:56 AM)fixtureman Wrote: You can still get BX cable along with MX that has a ground wire

Bx was a brand name that stopped production due to safety issues. The replacement is AC and MC. I have run many miles of MC AL in ceilings for lighting never in walls as walls always get piped.