Design: Tables- Shin kickers
[Image: gateleg_halfway_img_4647.jpg?w=640]

Tables have served humans, and pets, for thousands of years. Everyone should know what works, and what doesn't. Obviously 29 (so far) comments sucking up to the builder of this  monstrosity serve to explain the tragedy of demigod worship. Let's point out a couple flaws in this gateleg, and thus, why it should have remained in the forgotten caverns of time:

First, foremost, and the only needed reason, the stretchers provide a sturdy framework, but preclude use as a dining table for 4 out of 6 potential diners. The over 6-foot length will sit two people when fully open. Chicken wire on the central volume will keep Snausage down until he decides to follow Mom into the kitchen--the only value of this space. 

This screwup alone will send the thing to the rabbit hutch farm. Besides shins, the low clearance on the stretchers should handily peel up toenails on a regular basis. So, as a hunt board, hall table, and dining, provide a medical kit.

Enough....
That dude could make a birdhouse and sell it for $200. More power to him though. Wish I could.
Why are dragging the angry vitriol in your belly over somebody's blog post here? If you don't like the author, his work or his fans don't read his blog.

It's the Internet; agree to disagree. Build the pieces you like and want to use as that would be your time and energy well spent.

For the record, I would like piece like that. Not as my kitchen table but in my rec room as a games table.
I actually like it. Really like the colors and overall design. I really don't see the toe stubbing dangers in the design, and I am constantly stubbing my toes on stuff that jumps out in my way.

I have heard others say that you cant sit comfortably and do work at a slant front dest, but I do it all the time. The lower chest portion really does not get in the way of legs.
Do you have anything constructive to say about the table design. Am I full of ghost bandaids? Or, do you want to play chicken? Can 6 sit and eat comfortably at this table? Speak to the design. Play Santa to the grandchildren. I used a sheet of plywood for ping-pong table, and it worked great for multiple uses. This thing is dangerous for any purpose.  

The critique is design related and a sample sure makes the topic easier to digest. This subject obviously needed some sensible commentary before it got carried away to layout on wood. Yes, the builder filters comments for personal benefit, because it is in their control to do so. Yes, the builder should have known the problems and fixed them. Who suffers when garbage is passed off as gold? Common sense is your best designer and it was kicked out the door when this thing was resurrected.

It's an easy fix. Remove the lower stretchers, widen the central table to fit a place setting, shrink the apron so knees will fit under. Widening the center will pull up the leaves to a safe edge above the floor. Toe kicks are 3.5" to 4" high and ~3' deep where people stand into a table or counter. It needs swing legs under the leaves but one needs better understanding of the dimensions to best fit them for comfortable sitting. It may require a name other than 'gateleg. Maybe, 'not so big gateleg'.

We aren't personal, just passionate about the subject. I would love an opportunity to roast David Savage, who is less pleasant than me in reviews; and, he is honest. Besides, what better place to talk design than Woodnet. This is brain food for the soul. Stay tuned for the next critique.
Someone's been drinking haterade.
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
I think Bruce's critique is relevant. We need more of this in this site. Ignore the designer and focus on the design.

In my opinion, the concept did not project itself forward and examine how it would be used (I agree with all Bruce's points here). Plus - again my opinion - this is a most boring and unadventurous design. I expect that the joinery is first class, as is the fit and finish. However, I would not wish to live with this table. It is composed of straight lines that give it the look of a bunch of sticks. 

Hey, just my personal tastes here. Yours may differ. And you can throw stones at me later when I offer up another build, this time a sofa table with some interesting features (to start when I finish the kitchen I have been working on the past few months. Almost done).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek, I agree with you wholeheartedly, critique is a good thing, nothing wrong with it. My problem is that this feels more like an attack or an insult of the builder as well as his instagram followers thinly veiled as a critique. Your critique was not worded as being personal but rather objective, Bruce's however seems quite personal. I'm not a fan of the table either and I feel I can express that without insulting anyone in the process unlike the OP. He states "We aren't personal, just passionate ". The only thing he comes across as passionate about is hating on the builder.

John
"When I nod my head, hit it." - M. Howard.

"I think you should learn how to use hand tools before you even touch a power tool." - Sam Maloof
(05-03-2017, 02:09 AM)John Clifford Wrote: He states "We aren't personal, just passionate ". The only thing he comes across as passionate about is hating on the builder.

John

That's kind of the way I took it also. There are a few things I would do different, but as stated earlier, I actually like the basic design and how he made the gate legs. I agree that the aprons are a bit wide, and I think I would change the 2 lower side stretchers to one central stretcher.
The design is rectilinear but the color contrast adds interest, as do the angled gates. It is clearly designed to usually be folded small, and is very robust. If you were to design a table the unfolded size, that did not need to withstand the assault of small children or large weights, it would be different.

The central small sections are very appropriate for seating small children whose legs won't reach the lower stretchers.

It sounds like you (OP) are saying the table is poorly designed for a particular purpose. True. Imagine handplaning on a table made the way you suggest this one should be, then think about it on this one while folded. Perhaps the design features are compromises to meet multiple goals, some of which you are not interested in, rather than the idiocy you suggest.