Vintage hand made workbench...
to be destroyed.
Craigslist, Minneapolis

WANTED: woodworking handyman (Mounds View) hide this posting

I have a wooden workbench my great grandfather made entirely by hand, it's 100% wood and it's about 100 years old. Its huge, heavy and in the way, we don't really have room for it but I'd like to keep it for the sentimental value. I'm not looking to sell it since it has been in the family for this long.

I'm looking for a woodworking handyman that can make this huge bench into a nice end table. I'm willing to negotiate on price!!

Please text, call or email!! Again, I'm willing to negotiate on your rates!
Two thoughts on this.

First, I would not destroy the bench.

Second, there would be no negotiation if I were to waive rule number one.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite
I've seen several old hand tool benches in antique shops, repurposed as furniture. Some have been slathered in polyurethane, but otherwise most look to be fairly intact, even leaving the vises in place. I would hope that this gentleman could find someone to help him figure out a way to make use of this heirloom without destroying it.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

You missed the point, he said he was willing to negotiate the price. So how high would you have to go to sell out and do the job? 
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
I think it's interesting that he values the sentimental aspect of it... There are many people that say screw it, give me some cash.
Before I cut it up, I would strongly look at repurposing without destroying.  Next generation may want to resume woodworking with it.  I have seen antigue bench used as tall table against a wall, used as buffet, TV table, or use as a room divider.  I'm sure a few other thoughts will come to mind.     Ray
cutting it into small pieces doesn't seem like the way to maintain its sentimental value
A picture would help.