Wiring shop for 220
I am mostly moved into my new woodshop with the house attached.  I am thinking about wiring some tools for 220, specifically the table saw and RAS.  The issue is, they are on wheels and I may move them from time to time, for example, when I need to process some longer stock.  

With 120V wiring, there are several receptacles on a single circuit.  Typically 220V is is dedicated to one tool or appliance, and therefore there is a single receptacle on a circuit.  Can I wire multiple 220V receptacles on a single circuit?  I would run dedicated wiring to the dust collector.  As far as the other tools, I will only use one at a time.  I would like to put 220v receptacles in 6 or 8 locations, for other tools, running perhaps 2 circuits.  Is this acceptable?  Thanks.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
Yes you can, there is nothing in the NEC that prevents multiple 240V outlets on a circuit. That said, you may have some local things about it that need checked. As I understand it (and someone will correct this if it's wrong) that applies to both 20 amp and 30 amp 240V outlets. Although there's something else called the IRC (or something like that) that does prohibit the 30 amp daisy chaining.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I hope so, the inspectors here let me do it.  Are you talking 20A or 30A circuits?
The reason you normally see 240V loads on their own dedicated circuits is because they're big loads, fixed in place. Like clothes dryers, and water heaters. If they weren't such high-wattage loads, they'd be on 120V circuits. Being fixed in place, they're not going anywhere.

But in your kitchen for instance, you could plug a toaster oven, counter top microwave, and coffee maker into the same 20A circuit and run them all at once (and overload it), but you apply some common sense (not DW's sister, but normal people) and you don't run them all at the same time. Same with big shop tools that you don't run at the same time.

I have something like 6 receptacles on the same 240V 20A circuit, for my Unisaw, 12" RAS, and lathe (with VFD). I even move the saw sometimes when I need to cut really long things and need to orient it differently. They give me flexibility in machine arrangement. But I don't run them simultaneously, any more than I'd run all those kitchen heat-making appliances simultaneously on the same circuit (though that's why the code requires two or more such circuits in a kitchen).

And as already stated, I know of nothing in the Code to prohit it. And it does't violate common sense, either. But if you're worried about an inspector, just tell him/her that you want to move your saw around to different locations as the work requires.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
As you consider where to locate your 220 outlets, you may want to install 1 or 2 in the ceiling and use a drop down power cord.
(05-06-2017, 01:32 PM)EricU Wrote: I hope so, the inspectors here let me do it.  Are you talking 20A or 30A circuits?

20A.
(05-06-2017, 02:13 PM)dg152 Wrote: As you consider where to locate your 220 outlets, you may want to install 1 or 2 in the ceiling and use a drop down power cord.

Absolutely !  It is a 4 car garage.  I am thinking at least 2 on each of the 3 walls (maybe 4 on the long wall), one between the doors and two in the ceiling.  The previous owner removed a 220v Air compressor, so the wiring already exists for a dust collector.
I have 2 220 outlets on a single circuit. As others have said, it shouldn't be a problem with local codes.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
I too have done this in several shops. Actually now I only have one for the whole shop due to not enough slots left in my panel - brand new house too! I have a lowly HFDC so it runs on 110. I'd like to go back to at least two and keep the saws on one and the jointer planer on another. I find I go back and forth from the bandsaw to jointer a lot and would be nice to keep them both running but being on the same circuit I can't. That said, it's a small annoyance and as yet not enough to warrant me installing a sub panel.
-Marc

(05-09-2017, 06:12 AM)WaterlooMarc Wrote: I find I go back and forth from the bandsaw to jointer a lot and would be nice to keep them both running but being on the same circuit I can't.

Have you tried it?  My 3 hp Unisaw, 2 hp Delta 12" RAS, and 1 hp Delta 1460 lathe (VFD retrofit) running simultaneously draw about 9A on a 20A circuit (yes, I just measured it
Laugh ).  No-load, of course.  My Unisaw has a nameplate FLA value of 12.4A, and the RAS is 9.6A.  It takes a LOT to load them close to full load - I've tried on the Unisaw, ripping 2x4'x, while someone else watched an ammeter, and it required a far too aggressive feed rate for my taste.

Point being, running two machines at once but only loading one of them is unlikely to overtax the circuit, but that would depend on the machines of course.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"