Making trim with a plane
So I picked up this little sewing box on the cheap. It was missing trim on the drawers and I got around to the project yesterday. The first thing was to id the trim. I used my gauge set.

[Image: DSCN3052.jpg]

It turns out that the drawers are trimmed in 1/4" quarter round.

[Image: DSCN3053.jpg]

Lucky for me that I have some 1/4" walnut dowels in stock. I was hoping to crank some out on the #77, but maybe some other time. So I cut a piece to length and put it in a groove that I cut on some scrap.

[Image: DSCN3055.jpg]

It went down to 1/2 of a dowel pretty quickly.

[Image: DSCN3057.jpg]

Then I wedged it with a scrap sliver.

[Image: DSCN3059.jpg]

Getting smaller

[Image: DSCN3060.jpg]

Done

[Image: DSCN3061.jpg]

The trial fit looks good.

[Image: DSCN3063.jpg]

Next step is to apply some finish. Stay tuned.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Clever workholding, I like it.

FYI, I know a guy in the Boston area that picks up extras of those gauge sets (lots of closed machine shops and heck, right in Starrett's back yard) and then turns them in to profiled scrapers.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(05-08-2017, 09:42 AM)Rob Young Wrote: Clever workholding, I like it.

FYI, I know a guy in the Boston area that picks up extras of those gauge sets (lots of closed machine shops and heck, right in Starrett's back yard) and then turns them in to profiled scrapers.
" then turns them in to profiled scrapers.",,,,,,Great idea!!!!!!!!!!! I think I have a few extra sets!!!!!!
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

That is a perfect repurposing.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Nice.  Planing boards are extremely helpful - my most recent use for one was to thin down the molding used to retain glass in a door, because the new glass was slightly thicker than the old glass.  I generally just glue a bit of wood in the end of the groove for a stop, but your idea to clamp another piece of scrap at the end is good, too.

On a more massive scale, I've used a much larger one to plane handrail for our front stairs, when I was replicating the existing rails used on the balustrade on the porch.  In that project, it was helpful also, because the stock I was shaping was longer than my bench.
Jim, looks nice.  The gauge set looks great too,  just did a search on ebay, tons of results for gauge sets, only half a dozen for radius gauge sets, and they only ones there were new and metric.  Any ideas about  what else they may be called?
I wish I could post the picture of the cover. It says something like
Craftsman Radius Gage Set

Try that on the auction site with a few variations. There are dozens of them with prices all over the board.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim, that is the ticket.  I was searching for gauge not gage.
Thanks for the correct tool name, I also wanted to know.

(This new software won't let me quote a post in my reply. What setting am I missing?)
(05-09-2017, 01:03 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: (This new software won't let me quote a post in my reply. What setting am I missing?)

I find I have to hit the "quote" button and then the "reply" button to its left in order to quote a post.  Whether this is the factory method for the software or not, I don't know; but it works for me (Mac computer, Firefox browser, 68-year-old user with occasional upgrades).