Why I love woodworking
It has been a while since I have posted. I was formerly Vawoodworker84 but couldn't seem to get that login to work. My job brought me to Florida in the fall of 2015 and this has been my first significant project since trading in my Virginia basement for two bays of a 3-bay garage.

A few years ago, I was lucky enough to acquire a guitar whose previous owner was my favorite guitar player from my favorite band. He autographed it for me at my request. When I got in my new house, I knew the foyer niche would be perfect for displaying it. However, I wanted to do something more creative than just hanging it on the wall. I just didn't know what that was.

While I was repairing some speaker grills a few weeks ago, I had the inspiration that amplifier grill cloth would make an interesting backdrop for the guitar. That idea snowballed into building facades of two Marshall speaker cabinets. I am about 75% done.

Here are the rough cabinets as I was fitting the french cleats
[Image: 20170513_153848_1494704616874.jpg]

Here is the sill. I tried to make this look like a stage. The hole engages the guitar's strap pin
[Image: 20170513_153832_1494704617127.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0075.jpg]

One of the tasks that remains is to tune the brace that will hold the guitar at the neck joint. I am going to add four 1/2" neodymium magnets to engage the steel plate at the back of that joint. I will also add some additional wood that form-fits the guitar. I wanted this solution to be reliable yet make it easy to remove the guitar to actually play it.
[Image: IMG_0072.jpg]

I am hoping to get the tolex and the corner guards on the cabinets next weekend.
You did a swell job and should work great.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Very
Cool

Great idea and execution!

Now to be totally gloatworthy, you need to tell us who gave you the guitar. 
Big Grin
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

Totally and completely awesome!
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Thank you Bill. The original owner was Brian "Damage" Forsythe of Kix. The band was huge in the DC, MD, VA area in the 80s and 90s.
I remember them.  They got some radio airplay around here back in the heyday of hair metal bands.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(05-15-2017, 03:43 PM)FLWoodworker84 Wrote: The original owner was Brian "Damage" Forsythe of Kix. The band was huge in the DC, MD, VA area in the 80s and 90s.

Worst thing happened to Kix was getting the genre "Glam Metal" attributed to them. Some of their stuff got airplay back here in the MidWest too.

Nice work, welcome back.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Very nice
just a heads up /reminder.  magnets can effect your guitar pickup, not sure if transfer to the plate would be an issue.
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
That display came out fantastic.. thanks for sharing.
The niche is done. Here are the pics of the finished project...

[Image: IMG_0085.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0088.jpg]

The 5 magnets that grip the steel neck plate
[Image: IMG_0099.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0107.jpg]

The finished niche | The original rendering
[Image: IMG_0088%20before-after.jpg]