Rust Hunt weekend....
Was a bit hit and miss.......will post a few of the hits and the misses  when I get back home....

Just a tease...I bought a tool box full of stuff for $10.....those be R. Jennings bits under that Millers Falls brace.....bits are in two piles, since some where coarse threads, and some were fine threads.   There is even a 1/4" bit in there..

And these were the Fine Thread one....

Just a tease, for now....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
The Tool Box..

There was a cardboard box I also bought...

some of the "misses"

A Defiance #3  sitting in front of a Stanley #4c, type 11 ( 3 patent dates, triangle logo)

Why was the #4c a miss?

Nuff said. 
Oh, and a Disston saw..

take a look at them Champion teeth. 

More stuff, next  reply.
Inside the tool box..

Kind of nasty.   A plug cutter ( 5/8" from W. Germany) was stuck in the brace's chuck....took quite a bit to open the chuck.

That Disston Pruning saw and these tools were $5.25.    handle and it's handle were in two different boxes.   Hammer head has traces of green paint. 

Amongst the other drill bits in the cardboard box were these Morse Taper shanked drill bits, and these..

I also picked two junker saws, just for the brass hardware.   $1 each. 

Between the tool box and the card board box, there were three taps.   One was a 1/4"-28 NF.  A few pins/punches by Mayhew. 

More to come..
Some of the stuff cleaned up rather nicely...

A few Irwins....7/8" and 1"  along with the 1-1/4"  expansive bit...

These are for use in a brace.   have since found a 3/16" one in the bottom of the tool box.

The coarse thread Jennings bits...can't  seem to remember what model number these were.   Large bit is an 16 ( 1")
Have been digging down into the boxes, found these things.    The LONG bits, smaller one is a 3/16"  

The tap is just a normal tap, the brace twist bit is a 3/16".....but...anyone know about that fuzzy thing.    Those are very sharp, pointy teeth on that shaft. 

There is enough other normal drill bits in the box to fill one or two drill indexes. 

One more episode...

Attached Files Image(s)

Yes, there was a few mistakes along the way, over two days of rust hunting/picking...

The plastic  handles were THE ONLY good part about this $2 brace.   I thought it MIGHT have been a late model Holdall....
Rolleyes

Turned out to be a "Hold-none" model.
No    Has a "Jobsmart" logo on the handle.  
Uhoh   Chuck was never machined, cast crooked, wobbles more than a weeble..trash can
Yes

From one of the two $1 junker saws.   Yes, that is a nib.   But....

Handle was broken, did NOT match the saw plate.   Plate had about ...15 holes where handles were tried out.  Plate also had been bent in about four places.    I got it mainly for the Disston brass.

Now, as for the Disston pruning saw....

Champion pattern.   I think I have a tree or two that needs a bit of a trim...
Cool

Less than $30 for the entire haul...and Lunch.   Not too bad a weekend?
Confused
Have most of the drill bits cleaned up, and shiny, including two special bits..

the "other" bit is a 1/2" size.   The large ones seem to be stamped as FORD..
Confused

And are also stamped ...USAC.....United States Auto Club
Cool

Model number # 5468.....

Need to find a space to set all those "new" bits....
Rolleyes
The "fuzzy" thing appears to be a Carbide coated wood carving bit..could have been made by Karbide Kutzall...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Chuck the fuzzy thing into a drill, then?     Might come in handle making handles....

Back out and about today....8 deepwell sockets, in sizes I don't have.....$2

3/4" wide chisel with that see-through yellow handle...$1
6"  ruler that fits a combo square's head ( someone had cut the ruler in two)....$1
Parts block plane, mainly for the knob and cap...$1

Village-wide sales tomorrow, hopping in don't rain...too much.

Film @ 2300 hrs, ZULU...
(05-19-2017, 12:29 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Village-wide sales tomorrow, hopping in don't rain...too much.

Film @ 2300 hrs, ZULU...

It's a sickness, I'm a sufferer for sure.  Good hunting.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Ok, as for that "other" brace in last week's hunt..

Not a great one, but..for $2?
Winkgrin
As for today's road trip..

3/4 " wide chisel...$1

Grabbed this $1 stamped steel block just for parts...

Someone had cut an old steel ruler in half,...for a dollar bill, I can add that Combo Square's head for a small square

As for last weeks parts saws.....Plate from one saw, handle from the other....switch out a few brass bolts...

Just a run of the mill cross cut saw.   Plate is sharp, and straight, handle is sound, brass is good enough to hold it together.  Warranted Superior.   Will just have to do, for now
Rolleyes