Trex decking material
I am about to remove the old wolmanized decking material from my deck and replace it with a Trex plastic decking material.  The deck is in the sun all morning and most of the afternoon.  The color of the product that we are about to order is a dark grey. Will the dark colored composite heat up from the sun?
If your deck gets that much sun I would seriously go see some others not real life with similar exposure first. In my experience plastic composite decking is HOT.

Also, maybe I am not remembering correctly, but doesn't trex require 12" joist spacing?
My deck does have the 12 inch joist spacing.
Trex and other composites get extremely hot regardless of the color. A water park here used it for a few areas and it was so bad they ended up putting water sprayers on it and then they had to cover it in astroturf. Its also a bad material for handrails as it burns hands. 

I like trex and others but not in a full sun area.
My experience with it has been that they do get very hot, and it also fades quite a bit.
shifty
I was floored by how much it expands. I assumed some but those products move a lot
(05-20-2017, 06:59 PM)whatline Wrote: I was floored by how much it expands. I assumed some but those products move a lot

Yeah and it flexes very easily.  Its basically wood fiber and recycled shopping bags but sure is expensive for what it is.
As others noted, gets very hot. I live in Southern California and put one in. It lasted exactly 1 summer and I tore it out and went back to wood - it was just too hot for bare feet. I was a warned, so the wasted expense was all on me.
(05-21-2017, 11:49 AM)jcredding Wrote: As others noted, gets very hot.  I live in Southern California and put one in.  It lasted exactly 1 summer and I tore it out and went back to wood - it was just too hot for bare feet.  I was a warned, so the wasted expense was all on me.

Have always heard this, never actually heard from someone that did it. Sorry for the expensive lesson learned.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
My wraparound covered porch is trex. Since it faces east & north the sun / heat isn't a problem.

In my application it can't be beat.

Ed