Trex decking material
gets hot in the sun, needs 12" joists for good support, gets moldy if not in the sun....
We have friends that used it from full sun to full shade, one likes it, four others ripped it out.
no permiti el bicho morderte
After 20 yrs as a contractor this is what I know about trex. I've got light grey pvc coated trex at my house and it's hot in the sun...on bare feet. I haven't seen any fading though. Especially not like the old stuff. I've put down a bunch for customers too. No issues. The expansion doesn't bother me as long as you compensate at install. You can put trex on 16" joist spacing just not at 45d angle. As synthetics go trex and azek are top. They've been around and will back up their product. Now I've put down a few decks recently with treated decking. No problems so far. Maybe they've finallly got their chemistry right. If you don't want to seal it every year go trex and where sandals when it's sunny.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry
I was also told I could use existing 16" joist spacing, but there is noticeable flex no big deal but its there (I'm also 240#)

Had it to do over I would go 12" - or at least install X bracing every few feet.

How slippery is this stuff for the folks in snowy climates? I grill 3-4 times a week year round and don't want to end up on my butt everytime I walk out there.
(05-23-2017, 10:06 AM)Bluepine Wrote: How slippery is this stuff for the folks in snowy climates? I grill 3-4 times a week year round and don't want to end up on my butt everytime I walk out there.

I have Trex on my 2 level deck.  I live in the Pacific Northwest.  It rains a lot.  I have never once slipped(soccer slides, shoes, barefoot) on ours in the 4 years I have had it.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Has anyone experienced static electricity, with Trex? I know, because of that, they don't install, near a fuel dock.
The only shock I got was sticker shock when purchasing.
Winkgrin
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
I'm just gonna add my Timbertech experience... bought the product when it was new. Molded, so it had to be cleaned every year. One deck level cracked and was replaced within 7 years. The lower level has now cracked and i can't get any warranty out of it!  Older products had more wood, less plastic. Newer products get very hot, especially the darker colors.  I wish there was a better solution.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
(05-29-2017, 06:47 AM)Pirate3 Wrote: Has anyone experienced static electricity, with Trex? I know, because of that, they don't install, near a fuel dock.

Interesting.....never had that problem with mine, has to be 15 years old, maybe a little more.

It's old enough, there is no woodgrain embossed on it, just smooth.

Ed
That's funny about the sagging. I've never seen it around her and it sometimes gets 100 here and I'm 230. I know when it's hot and you're carrying the boards they sag like pieces of cooked vermicelli. Put them on a 16" c.c. framing and no problems. Not saying your wrong just it's funny.
Everybody blamed his old man for makin him mean as a snake. When Amos Moses was a boy his daddy would use him for alligator bait!
-Jerry Reed

Larry