Oscillating Edge Sander
Anyone own of these machines? What do you use it mainly for? I'm considering buying the Jet, but like to know how useful they are.

Thanks
Mike
Rounded drum similar to an oscillating drum sander, a flat with a platen to sand flats, similar to a huge belt sander. That model is tiltable, not all are. So angles, flat, and edge sanding can all be done. They are basically grown up tools of what a lot of home shops have in smaller sized tools. What are your plans for it?

Interesting review

Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've got the big Grizzly one (9.5" x 138") and love it.  It was an upgrade from their smaller one.  For inset cabinet fronts there is nothing better for getting the reveal of doors and drawer fronts dead on.  I also use it for sanding the edges of drawer boxes after glueup to get the glue off and flatten the dovetails.  I get a dead one straight edge so side mount drawer slides are set to those sides with no bow so they always work flawlessly.  If a drawer side has any bow from sanding with a ROS, the drawer slides will not work as well.

My edge sander is one of the most used tools in my shop.
I have a non oscillating Grizzly edge sander that gets a lot of work. After seeing an oscillating one work in a friend's shop, it is worth the xtra money to get one.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Thanks. I would mainly use it for general sanding small parts and clean up of drawer sides once everything is together. They just seem really useful, but I've never had the opportunity to try one. I'd be curious to know how well they would work for fettling plane beds. I use my home made 12" disc sander on my lathe all the time, but feel I may need to upgrade my tool selection.

Mike
I have the Vega OES. It is a 132" x6" belt. There is an ibeam for a 48" platen. You can put a 2nd flat or curve platen on back and table on back and at end for curve. You can slope the table down and with oscillation you get almost 100% usage of the 6" sandpaper with 3/4" stock. Oscillation and table angling makes paper useage much better. Research the Vega a bit before choosing another model new.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I used mine today for cleaning up saw marks on tapered legs.. Edge sander is IMO the machine you can't believe how much you use, until you have one...

Also great for cleaning up end grain.. sanding outside curves ..
Achieving life is not the equivalent of avoiding death.
Ayn Rand

I have the jet 708447 and I really like it.  As previously stated, you will find plenty of uses and it is a workhorse in my shop. No problems in the 2 years that I have had it.  David
I consider it one of the more useful tools in the shop and its one of my favorites.  That said, they are dangerous.   It's easy to forget how much power they have in all that moving mass.  They can fling a board or grind off the skin of a fingertip faster then you can imagine.

But, I'll never give up mine.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I try and capture dust at both ends. It is a fairly messy tool.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.