Rasp sharpening
Big Grin 
A long time ago, I read somewhere that you could sharpen rasp teeth by soaking the rasp in some kind of acid. Is this a good workable idea? Is the acid something the common man can obtain or must you be licensed by the EPA or something?[Image: biggrin.png]
I haven't used them, but, from what I've heard of Boggs Tool and File Sharpening, I'm not sure why it would be worth trying it yourself.

Their website
It will clean small metal particles off and rust- I don't think it will sharpen it, in fact, it would dull it as the acid eats the metal. Most of the time rasps are just clogged with wood/sap or rusted up since they aren't used for metal filing.

I use a stiff bristle brush on rasps after soaking in oil.

I'm sure some have used acid and they are happy with it, but that won't happen with mine.

Keep it oiled.
Mike Wenzloff, who most probably is doing more raspworking than all other guys on woodnet together, uses acid to sharpen his rasps. At least he worte this when he used to hang around here. Good times that was.

Cheers
Pedder
I hear vinegar brought up a lot for this.  While not a rasp I had a old boston school style pencil sharpener that was not working very well anymore.  I took it a part and put the cutters in a bowl of vinegar, I believe for a day or two and then I cleaned them off really good with a wire brush.  I put the sharpener back together and it has been cutting like new ever since.

Bob
Yes, a soak in a mild acid will sharpen your rasp. Too much of a soak, and it will eat away your teeth. Overnight with vinegar works. Stronger acids and you will risk embrittling your tool steel. So, stay away from phosphoric, hydrochloric, sulfuric acids.

Here's a video that explains the process.

https://logancabinetshoppe.wordpress.com...ick-tip-7/
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Send them to Boggs, you won't be disappointed. Have a batch to send out to him. When the Nicholson 49 & 50 were made here in the US, people would buy from Boggs and have them sharpened.

Slav
"More the Knowledge Lesser the Ego, Lesser the Knowledge More the Ego..."   -Albert Einstein.
Another vote for Boggs.  Side note: He is a hoot to talk to especially during NBA finals.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Thanks for the tips; especially about the acids to avoid. I have several old worn files/rasps (who doesn't?). I'll give it a try with some vinegar.
According to Boggs web site they don't use acid to sharpen but rather some sort of liquid abrasive blasting.