Privacy Trees or Shrubs
Arbor Vitae.  There are a few popular varieties that create a natural hedge in varying heights and fairly fast growing.
(05-23-2017, 10:00 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Unfortunately the only plants that grow well are invasive species because they are more hearty for the climate and soil than the native plants. 

I look at all the varietys you guys op north have and i compare it to here where its either redtips or boxwoods(which are short and take decades to grow to any appreciable size).
There are plenty of both native and non-invasive non-native plants to choose from.  I'm not claiming to know TX plant selections well...  sometimes you just have to look a little further than what the "popular-for-the-moment" choices are.  A year and a half ago, I was at a conference where one of the sessions was titled something to the tone of "new trends in tree selection".  the first speaker was a introduced with a laundry list of awards for his landscape architect designs.  He listed Norway maple, Red maple, Callery pear, Honey locust...all the things you see row after row after row in new mini-malls and mid-level housing (or some times even upper end neighborhoods).  Puke, more of the same - and the guy gets awarded for it.  I can't tell you how ticked I'd be if I paid tens of thousands for a plan that said "plant a row of 40 honey locust here and 36 pear there".

(to redeem the session, the next speaker was from Klyn Nurseries...he offered several new selections and revisited some "forgotten" oldies that fit the bill in many locations, but just aren't used.  He is 'just' a horticulturist...but I'd much rather his design opinion over the LA's...
Autumn Olive makes a nice screen.
Sarcasm

The state of MI encouraged planting of it for habitat. Only to declare it an invasive species after it has taken over everything not mowed or cultivated!
Upset
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15