Used veritas planes on ebay
Anyone else just watch 2 used veritas planes on eBay go for almost full retail? I mean if you wait for free shipping the price difference would have been so small buying these used ones is silly to me.

Just a comment.

Now I guess if you were buying them regardless saving 10-15 dollars is always nice but for that I would normally just buy new.

Brian
It seems hard to understand, agreed. I think the explanation is buyers in countries with exaggerated tariffs, or other such, find used more economical. At least that is the story for LN tools. But stupid is always a viable reason, too.
Lee Valley has limited payment options. Ebay offers more like MO, check, PayPal. Maybe someone has a ppal balance they need to spend.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Count me as a weird guy.   I like my tools to already be scratched up, even if they're premium tools.   I do buy "used" almost all the time, sometimes at high prices.  I just don't like being the guy to scratch up a brand-new tool.    Also, using Paypal dollars is most convenient for me; I tell my spouse that my old tool sales fund more old tool purchases.

Chris
Chris
(05-22-2017, 06:21 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Count me as a weird guy.   I like my tools to already be scratched up, even if they're premium tools.   I do buy "used" almost all the time, sometimes at high prices.  I just don't like being the guy to scratch up a brand-new tool.    Also, using Paypal dollars is most convenient for me; I tell my spouse that my old tool sales fund more old tool purchases.

Chris

Good reasons.
Ag
using paypal is definitely a good reason.  I like old tools that have been used, because of the connection to the former owner. Not sure I could feel that way about something as new as a LV.  OTOH, we all go looking for the pristine tools that never got used.
never thought of some of those reasons, all good points. i'm guilty of doing the paypal buy and sell game with my wife as well
Smile
Yup, I see it all the time. 

I only buy LN and LV planes anymore.  That's why I just buy new.
Almost full retail is still less than retail.  Some folks just want to save money, no matter how little they might save.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-22-2017, 06:21 PM)C. in Indy Wrote: Count me as a weird guy.   I like my tools to already be scratched up, even if they're premium tools.   I do buy "used" almost all the time, sometimes at high prices.  I just don't like being the guy to scratch up a brand-new tool.    Also, using Paypal dollars is most convenient for me; I tell my spouse that my old tool sales fund more old tool purchases.

Chris

I feel EXACTLY the same way. The shiny new tools in my shop always get passed by as I reach for the rusty/repaired tools. I just hate to be the guy who rubs all the red off the pop. As for the tools that are broken in-- well, they get used and abused like a rented mule.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com