Hello, and who sold me those cool handplanes???
(05-23-2017, 12:57 PM)Vince Wrote: Rarebear's (Johnny Kleso) website: http://www.rexmill.com/

I wish Johnny would come back..Heckova nice fellow and he knew a thing or two about planes and machines in general...great machinist also.
Yes .I have had the pleasure of meeting him several times at tool meets.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-23-2017, 10:57 AM)shopMouse Wrote: ... upcycling wood, mainly pallets, to try my hand at different things without breaking the bank with wood ...

Please, please, please don't contribute to the "look what I made from a pallet" trend.
Smile

Some pallets are better left alone if they have wood that has been contaminated by the pallet contents.  

And you may think you got out all the nails and junk but you may find you didn't when you hit something with your tools.  Sure, you could see that as an opportunity to practice your grinding and sharpening and honing.  Or maybe lapping of a sole after you drag a plane across an embedded nail.

And the species could be rather random.  Perhaps all you find in your area might be ash pallets.  You probably won't like learning how to use hand tools on that stuff.  Although once you can sharpen and know how to tune up a tool to perform, ash (oak, etc) won't present any serious problems.

Look around and find a hardwood dealer that stocks poplar or maybe has a big bin of shorts and cut-offs (try a cabinet shop too).  Use that stuff instead of pallets.  You might get lucky and find a stash of cherry, maple, walnut or even one of the mahogany or mahogany-like woods.

The cost of the wood isn't that great.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
(05-23-2017, 01:33 PM)shopMouse Wrote: Thanks for the web address. I don't see anything on his site that he still sells planes. I'll shoot him a message though, and see if he can guide me to a good place.

Hopefully Johnny will answer you. I'm pretty sure he has retired from plane restoration.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

He has a note on his homepage that due to an injury he is not taking on any more work.
Vince Ancona
WoodNet Moderator
Editor, Woodsmith Magazine
There also was a member who used the name Leonard Bailey and who sold many nice planes here.  One of them was the "Mummy Plane", which I still have.  It was found wrapped in cosmolene and rags in a school manual arts shop that was being liquidated.  The plane was unused and was a type 17 from WWII.  He and Rarebear were contemporaries.  This forum was rockin' back in those days (ten years ago).
(05-23-2017, 02:40 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Hopefully Johnny will answer you. I'm pretty sure he has retired from plane restoration.

Site looks to be stale, last update in 2015.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I still have a No. 7 I got from Johnnie and it is my go to jointer.  It was perfect after he worked it over and I've worked hard to keep it that way.  He was a heckofa asset and it's too bad he got crossways with somebody and left the Forum.
Mike

If you're the smartest person in the room, you're in the wrong room!

But not today...
Hmmm, I have always had a standing offer:

Send a plane to my address, with return shipping provided.   I will restore the plane to what it was supposed to llok like new.   It will be sharp and tuned.   All I ask is that the owner of the plane pay postage both ways.   period.   I can't remake handles anymore, but the rest of a Rusty & Krusty plane will be tuned and ready for work.    Whatever shipping box is used, be sure I can ship it back in the box.  

From something like this..

again..

to..

and..

Shavings....

Took about an evening to do.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bandit, That is...well I'm at a loss for words....

Good on you!
That is an extremely generous offer on Bandit's part.

I think I would feel guilty.

Crazy 

Another person to consider is tablesawtom    Ship him your plane and he will precision grind it (At least he used to.  I hope he is still in the business.)  He also precision grinds the back of the blade.  Very nice results.