Saw Vises - Which should I keep and How Much are they worth?
i All:

I am doing some Spring Cleaning and need the collective wisdom of this forum.

I have acquired a couple saw vises.  I want to keep 1, but am not sure which to keep.  So I am looking for feedback on which to keep and which to sell.

Any thoughts (including value) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

#1 - EC Stearns (10.5" jaws)
[Image: IMG_2392.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2394.jpg]

#2 Other Vise (no brand) 9.5" Jaws w/ ball swivel 
[Image: IMG_2396.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2398.jpg]
IMO, I'd go with the second provided the ball locks down with no wiggle. To me it seems like it'd be higher up than the Stearns, but then again you could always mount the Stearns to a long board and put it in the vise. Do you do any sharpening at odd angles lol.
(05-23-2017, 02:49 PM)BpB123 Wrote: i All:

I am doing some Spring Cleaning and need the collective wisdom of this forum.

I have acquired a couple saw vises.  I want to keep 1, but am not sure which to keep.  So I am looking for feedback on which to keep and which to sell.

Any thoughts (including value) are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Brian

#1 - EC Stearns (10.5" jaws)
[Image: IMG_2392.jpg]
[Image: IMG_2394.jpg]

#2 Other Vise (no brand) 9.5" Jaws w/ ball swivel 
[Image: IMG_2396.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2398.jpg]

The bottom vise is a Sargent and it's the one I would keep because of the ball-joint.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I've always thought the Stearns vise - I have one, too - is really more designed for touchup of a saw on a jobsite than for serious sharpening, for which the Sargent would be better.  If all your work is in the shop, move the Stearns on to someone else.  If you take a handsaw out to jobsites, take the Stearns along with you.
Keep the Sargent, sell the Stearns. The latter, perhaps $15, and I agree it was a job site vice. You might as well keep em both.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Can't add much to what others have already said.  I've sold a few like the Stearns - with a name (and Stearns is respectable enough) on eBay I tend to get between $15 to $30 for the jobsite type like that (usually on the lower side of that).  Its one benefit is that it's open underneath so you are not limited in the depth of saw it can hold.  Can't imagine how often it would actually matter but if you had to highlight it's strong points aside from portability, that's about it.  The downsides are it's relatively lighter construction makes it a little less solid.  The ones I've had like that tended to not close the jaws consistently across their width and had a gap in the center.  Looks like yours may have a piece of material added as a makeshift jaw liner which might help close the gap.  Gap = vibration I believe.

All of that said, I've not tried my hand at sharpening saws enough to really comment on which is better/preferable.

A.
Thanks all for your feedback.  I appreciate it!

-Brian