Suggestions on milling and transporting wood from rural areas?
Harbor Freight and Northern Tool both have power winches for less than $100.  Find a way to mount them on the front of your pick-up bed or trailer and pull the logs on.  If you feel strong they have crank winches for a lot less.

gator
I think a come-along or winch will be part of the equation if you aren't going to use a bucket tractor of any kind. My first thought was a truck with a lift gate, likely a rental, but if you can mount a pulling device in the pickup box just bring a ramp to pull the logs up. A couple of people also mentioned using a trailer. That seems like one of the easier routes to take. Get a winch or something on the front of the trailer and pull the logs on. While I see the merit of gettin it cut up on site, that's likely to be expensive and possibly a hassle but it would be more efficent to get the most wood home and leave the waste and bark there.

The things we go through for our lumber huh?
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
I've moved logs to yield a few thousand board feet of lumber, and it absolutely can be done with a trailer, a ramp, and a come along.  I've used cut up pieces of 2 or 3" steel pipe for rollers with good results.  I think it's a lot of fun even though it's time consuming and hard work, but you probably figured that out already!