DW735 tripping reset button
(06-05-2017, 09:56 AM)Roly Wrote: Does a Byrd head use more or less power to operate it ?  I have seen arguments both ways.    Roly

I live 20 minutes away from the Byrd machine shop and went there to pick up a head for my Delta 8" jointer and asked them that question.

Their answer was that the shelix head takes a little more power because there always is some shear cutting being done, but that as the straight blades become less sharp the difference goes away.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(06-07-2017, 08:54 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: I live 20 minutes away from the Byrd machine shop and went there to pick up a head for my Delta 8" jointer and asked them that question.

Their answer was that the shelix head takes a little more power because there always is some shear cutting being done, but that as the straight blades become less sharp the difference goes away.

I've heard that same thing before and I'm not arguing, but it does seem odd that the measure of power used isn't simply a function of work being done (namely, how much stock you're removing from the board).

It just seems weird that taking lots of tiny bites constantly takes more energy than taking 2-4 comparatively enormous bites intermittently.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
It's the sliding of the cutters as they make the shear cut--there's always several in contact with the wood.
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
I have been in contact with Byrd, but so far have no answers from them.  

Anyone here have a feel for what a free spinning "15 Amp" motor should draw?  If not, any suggestions on where else to ask?  I haven't had much luck doing a google search...

Thanks!