Changing motor capacitor
  Re: Changing motor capacitor by stav (I attempted to start...)
Stav, make any progress on this? Just curious.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I did make a little. I got the motor apart and cleaned up the contacts. I ordered and received a new capacitor but have not installed it yet. I plan to do that today.  Hopefully that will be all that it needed.  I did find a motor shop local that only charges $20 for testing.  I plan to take it there either way.  Only problem is they have a 2-3 week backlog.
That sometimes happens (the backlog). OTOH, that may speak well of the shops reputation.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-11-2017, 09:04 AM)stav Wrote: Only problem is they have a 2-3 week backlog.

I then tell them; "Then we are in luck- I'm 2-3 weeks ahead of time- that means we're even and you can get on it today" ! ?

Yeah, that never works. Smirk
"There are no strangers- only friends I haven't met.
Maybe I'll call ahead with the wife's phone and give a fictitious name when I try that one out. That way they won't know it's me when I get there and put me in the six week backlog.
Bring donuts. Beg for expediency.
Ask for an estimate. Tends to get you in. Then once apart if its cheap and easy they call and give quote and usually get it done all in 1-2 days. If expensive and takes a couple weeks you will prob pass and source a baldor anyway.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When you find out what a Baldor motor costs, check out a Leeson.
"There are no strangers- only friends I haven't met.
There wasn't a torrential rain tonight when I got home so I decided to hook up the new capacitor and give it a shot. I got it all connected and switched it on. From what I could tell, it seemed to be running wel but the pulley off at the moment so it is a little difficult to judge. I kept the test short because of its history blowing capacitors. I plan to take it to the motor shop tomorrow if I can get up early enough to drop it off before work.
(06-13-2017, 09:46 PM)stav Wrote: There wasn't a torrential rain tonight when I got home so I decided to hook up the new capacitor and give it a shot. I got it all connected and switched it on. From what I could tell, it seemed to be running wel but the pulley off at the moment so it is a little difficult to judge. I kept the test short because of its history blowing capacitors. I plan to take it to the motor shop tomorrow if I can get up early enough to drop it off before work.

It may be too late if you've already taken it to a shop, but if you haven't, slap an ammeter on it while it's running with no load attached.  Also, put the ammeter on one of the capacitor leads and start the motor - there should be zero current through that lead once it's up to speed.  If there is current, the centrifugal switch isn't opening, which will blow a start capacitor after some time, and possibly burn out the start winding.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combo of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet.”