Changing motor capacitor
Stav, make any progress on this? Just curious.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I did make a little. I got the motor apart and cleaned up the contacts. I ordered and received a new capacitor but have not installed it yet. I plan to do that today.  Hopefully that will be all that it needed.  I did find a motor shop local that only charges $20 for testing.  I plan to take it there either way.  Only problem is they have a 2-3 week backlog.
That sometimes happens (the backlog). OTOH, that may speak well of the shops reputation.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-11-2017, 08:04 AM)stav Wrote: Only problem is they have a 2-3 week backlog.

I then tell them; "Then we are in luck- I'm 2-3 weeks ahead of time- that means we're even and you can get on it today" ! ?

Yeah, that never works.
Smirk
Maybe I'll call ahead with the wife's phone and give a fictitious name when I try that one out. That way they won't know it's me when I get there and put me in the six week backlog.
Bring donuts. Beg for expediency.
"Links to news stories don’t cut it."  MsNomer 3/2/24
Ask for an estimate. Tends to get you in. Then once apart if its cheap and easy they call and give quote and usually get it done all in 1-2 days. If expensive and takes a couple weeks you will prob pass and source a baldor anyway.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

When you find out what a Baldor motor costs, check out a Leeson.
There wasn't a torrential rain tonight when I got home so I decided to hook up the new capacitor and give it a shot. I got it all connected and switched it on. From what I could tell, it seemed to be running wel but the pulley off at the moment so it is a little difficult to judge. I kept the test short because of its history blowing capacitors. I plan to take it to the motor shop tomorrow if I can get up early enough to drop it off before work.
(06-13-2017, 08:46 PM)stav Wrote: There wasn't a torrential rain tonight when I got home so I decided to hook up the new capacitor and give it a shot. I got it all connected and switched it on. From what I could tell, it seemed to be running wel but the pulley off at the moment so it is a little difficult to judge. I kept the test short because of its history blowing capacitors. I plan to take it to the motor shop tomorrow if I can get up early enough to drop it off before work.

It may be too late if you've already taken it to a shop, but if you haven't, slap an ammeter on it while it's running with no load attached.  Also, put the ammeter on one of the capacitor leads and start the motor - there should be zero current through that lead once it's up to speed.  If there is current, the centrifugal switch isn't opening, which will blow a start capacitor after some time, and possibly burn out the start winding.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"