Grizzly T10113 - Universal Overarm Blade Guard
Does anyone own the Grizzly T10113 - Universal Overarm Blade Guard I'd be interested in a review. 

[Image: t10113.jpg]
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
Does nobody own one?

OK in that case... any thoughts on this Griz overarm blade guard vs it's competitors? I like the fact that it is free standing and that it connects to a 4-inch fitting and only reduces to 3 inches instead of 2 1/2. as for the efficiency and effectiveness of the guard itself, I haven't a clue but $359 shipped it seems like an acceptable price.
I can see how it'd work with a contractors' style saw but unless the guard extends well beyond the 'feet', it doesn't look like it would work that well with a full cabinet hybrid or 3+ h.p. cabinet saw. There's very little room between the bottom of the cabinet & the floor. The guard would extend perhaps 18" - 24" beyond the 'feet'. Would it stay where you put it? Be tipsy? It may work great but those would be the questions I'd have.
(05-31-2017, 06:34 PM)kurt18947 Wrote: I can see how it'd work with a contractors' style saw but unless the guard extends well beyond the 'feet', it doesn't look like it would work that well with a full cabinet hybrid or 3+ h.p. cabinet saw. There's very little room between the bottom of the cabinet & the floor. The guard would extend perhaps 18" - 24" beyond the 'feet'. Would it stay where you put it? Be tipsy? It may work great but those would be the questions I'd have.

It is shown connected to a Griz cabinet saw and the description says the boom extends up to 68" from the support column and rotates 90°. Floor to boom is 50.75" and the guard Height adjustment is 6.5" I'm pretty certain there won't be any issues using it with a 52" Unisaw. I would wager the horizontal support could be bolted directly to my mobile base and that would make it significantly more stable, plus I won't need to drill any holes into the cabinet if it is attached to the mobile base frame.

[Image: t10113_saw.jpg]
While it is just a Griz version of several others I think the others are far more useful. 

the idea of running it to the floor/ base was nixed by the other reputable builders yrs ago. 

I do not see any advantage at all to that design.

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(06-01-2017, 09:58 AM)JGrout Wrote: While it is just a Griz version of several others I think the others are far more useful. 

the idea of running it to the floor/ base was nixed by the other reputable builders yrs ago. 

I do not see any advantage at all to that design.

Joe

Well help me out here. I cannot find any other designs that are actually available other than the Penn State overarm guard and it's design is weak in my opinion. The EXAKTOR Overarm Dusthood is no longer available anywhere I can find. The 50-EXBC10 Excalibur seems to be unavailable since General International bought the brand. The Shark Guard is not an overarm guard but rather a splitter mounted guard for my unisaw. What am I missing from this lineup. If there are other options I sure want to investigate them before making a purchase decision so any recommendations for alternatives that are actually available and have sufficient CFM airflow to not be a disappointment.
I think you already made up your mind. 

go for it. let us know how it worked out for you
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I would be interested to hear how the grizzly works out as well. I have a new Unisaw and it could really benefit from an over arm guard for dust collection. I was hoping delta would release one specifically made for their saw but it doesn't look like that will ever happen now that they have been sold...

I like your idea of mounting it to the mobile base.
Well, it's not a blade guard. At least not the way OSHA defines it. To be a blade guard, it has to protect against kickback too. Not just be a barrier for fingers and dust. That means a splitter or riving knife and anti-kickback pawls. I think it would properly be named a dust collection blade cover.
Smile
That is beside the point though. I actually like the design. At least the base and boom. If it isn't connected to a saw, then it is also a portable one that can be used on different machines if needed. It is certainly priced well for what it is.
I haven't seen any reviews of it though. Not sure how rigid the boom is, especially if well extended. That really would matter a lot I think.

Not sure how well that boom is secured from rotating, but looks to me like you could back it up to a miter saw or RAS as well. But then it becomes overkill.
Smile
Lee
I own 2 of Lee's Shark Guards, and they are extremely safe, stupid easy to use, get most all of the dust, and you would really have to work at it to get cut. I don't get a cent for saying that, but I do like to spread the safety word, when I can.
Big Grin

If you find an Excaliber anymore they are often around 750+ bux

You might want to look at this if you are sure of getting a less safe guard, that allows a lot of dust to fly
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW