Grizzly T10113 - Universal Overarm Blade Guard
Steve, I may end up getting a Shark Guard for my Uni but I still need an overarm device to collect dust which is my primary concern at the moment. I like the extra large collection area of this Griz Overarm though. I sure wish there was a better aftermarket riving knife solution for the Unisaw that would raise and lower with the blade. I found a picture in the Shark Guard Gallery of a Delta ARK Shark Guard that was hooked to a Grizzly overarm so that has at least been done by someone else before, (pic below). My thoughts on the PSI unit with the 2.5" tube is that it has to have issues with airflow resistance compared to the 3" to 4" Griz tube.  

bdog, If I end up getting this overarm dust collector I'll be sure to give a review. I've been thinking about the attaching it to the base idea and I think I can do it with ratchet handles so it can be easily unattached. I have some thoughts about using heavy duty T-Track so the position can be altered too.

Stytooner, your thoughts on portability for other tools is interesting. I suppose you could put castors on the back side legs instead of the adjustable stabilizer pads and wheel it wherever you want
Wink.

[Image: deltaARK1thb.jpg]
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I can tell you the Shark with a 4" hose collects overarm dust as well as a setup like the Griz. I had one for years on my Unisaw, when I bought it Lee called it the "mega mouth" model, but I think they are all that size now. Then, because  fell into a deal on it, I switched to an Excalibur (older model) and it worked well, but I still thought the Sharlk was a little better. I meant to switch back to the Shark and never did, but I wound up selling the Uni and the Shark went with it. On my current saw I still have the Excalibur, though I recently bought one of Lee's baskets to put on it. (disclaimer: I'm kinda between shops at the moment and haven't used the new setup yet). But the DC on the Shark is very, very good. Here is an older pic of how my Shark Guard setup was plumbed:

[Image: SG_zpsed9c6b58.jpg]
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I saw on another forum a while back where another company was making the Excalibur guard, but the basket is the same one as comes with the Grizzly pictured. I cannot remember the name of the company that is making them, but it looked nice.

I couldn't be more happy with my setup which is the Excalibur with Lee's Shark Guard and ARK. Raising and lowering the ARK is a manual process, and I really didn't know if I'd like that as I figured I would forget and raise a spinning blade into it. I've used it a few months now and (knock on wood) the new process has become a habit.

Attached Files Image(s)

Found the guard I mentioned above. It's a King Model 1014 Excelsior, looks like it is available in Canada-don't know if there are any US sellers yet or not?

Attached Files Image(s)

Yeah the ARK riving knife is not perfect and will take a bit of getting used to, but I do consider it to be quite a bit better than splitters because it never has to be removed. All the features of a true riving knife. It just has to be raised manually. The few other arbor mounted designs seem to have one major flaw. The knife on them is not very rigid. The ARK is as solid as the original blade guard and probably better.
That same ARK design for the Delta also fit several other brands and models of saws including several Grizzlies, Jets, Shop Fox, Bridgewood and Powermatic. The only differences are the mounting bolt sizes.

PS Thanks, Greg.
had not seen that one before
Lee
(06-02-2017, 06:49 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: Found the guard I mentioned above. It's a King Model 1014 Excelsior, looks like it is available in Canada-don't know if there are any US sellers yet or not?

It's amazing how much the Excelsior arm section and guard looks like the Griz DC arm. I also noticed that the Grizzly version hardware in it's parts manual is all SAE instead of metric which leads me to believe it is North American manufactured, maybe even the same factory that makes the Excelsior. I think I still like the free standing nature with a swing away arm on the Grizzly better, but the King Excelsior gives me another option. Decisions, decisions...
It looked to me like that Grizzly overarm was bolted to the saw....and believe me, you would want it bolted in place. If it's free standing and an upset happens, you could knock the thing out of alignment with the blade and do some damage..to it and other stuff. It's the other stuff I'd be worried about.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(06-02-2017, 11:01 AM)fredhargis Wrote: It looked to me like that Grizzly overarm was bolted to the saw....and believe me, you would want it bolted in place. If it's free standing and an upset happens, you could knock the thing out of alignment with the blade and do some damage..to it and other stuff. It's the other stuff I'd be worried about.

Perhaps I should have said "floor standing". It is connected to the saw.

I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger and order it. Stay tuned.
First impressions, its heavy steel construction. A bit too heavy the way it is boxed for UPS but more on that later. It comes unassembled. Here is a photo of the parts contained in the box.

[Image: t10113_parts.jpg]

The Dust hood is H U G E!
The entire dust hood and mechanism attaches as a single part with one bolt on the backside of the plastic arm. However, It is heavy. A bit too heavy in my opinion but that comes I guess from solid construction.

[Image: t10113_hood.jpg]

Assembly was a breeze. The instructions were clear and it took about 30 minutes. Initially, I set it up with the horizontal stabilizing leg installed. Even though it is heavy solid construction I felt like it would be too easy to move it while working so I clamped the vertical support to the end of the TS extension. After studying it for a little bit I realized I could lower the whole thing to sit directly on the mobile base for added stability. Once I decided I had it positioned exactly where I wanted it, I held it in place with clamps to prevent movement and then I drilled through one of the stabilizer leg holes that just happened to line up perfectly with the mobile base. I then drilled a hole through the column and the TS extension. I used a 5/16 x 4.5" bolt at both locations to secure it. This made it solid as a rock but easy to unbolt and move if needed.

[Image: t10113_foot.jpg]

[Image: t10113_front.jpg]

[Image: t10113_joint.jpg]

I mentioned up top that the whole thing is a bit too heavy the way it is boxed for UPS. The box had apparently been dropped from some height and the end of the 4-inch tube was bent and the box had obviously broken based on the way it had been retaped back together. I called Grizzly CS to let them know about the damage. I told them the box really needed to be reinforced on the ends or better yet be double boxed. I wasn't demanding a replacement for the tube but they wanted to send me one anyway. I should be here tomorrow.

[Image: t10113_damage.jpg]

The first time I hooked the Unisaw and the overarm up to my DC it sucked the insert right out of the TS and lodged it at an angle. Good thing the saw wasn't running at the time. I adjusted the screws on the insert so that it was a tighter fit and raised the hood up about 3/4" and locked it in place and then it worked fine. Although I can work with this configuration, for now, I'm a bit concerned about the weight and size of the hood, plus I don't currently have a splitter installed. So, I have pretty much decided that I really need to get an ARK Shark Guard and replace the hood altogether and just utilize the pipe and hose for dust collection. The overhead dust collection was what I was seeking anyway, and the Grizzly T10113 delivers on that. Also, the ability to swing the arm out of the way is a big plus. 

Tom
Thanks for the review. I do like they way you bolted that foot to the frame, I had a suspicion it needed to be fastened somehow. The whole setup is way better than my Excalibur (older version), I like that basket way better than the original Excalibur basket as well. Nice.