Sofa Table
I have argued the case for more builds on this forum, so in line with this, here is my current build.

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/S...prons.html

My apology that I cannot post it all directly to the forum, but the new system makes it difficult. I do hope that there is enough interest to create some discussion here. That is what this is all about.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
VERY NICE!

Thanks Derek for sharing.  I am looking forward to more

-Brian
Really like the slight curves.  They make the table dance.  The chamfer on the legs so they match the curve of the apron is a nice hand tool design element.  Will the drawer be a single, long drawer that opens from both the east and the west?  Is seems like it will need a lot of travel to get out from under the overhanging table top.  I imagine about the middle third of the drawer space will be inaccessible - which is fine.  Am I envisioning that right?
Thanks Bill.

Just a single drawer opening from one side. 

I reasoned that it will not matter that the drawer, since it is hidden and not for "everyday" use, requires a slight stretch to access. It will be accessed from one side only, and on a long rail so that it clears the underside of the tabletop.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Hey, is that the Wegner chair you built? Looks nice! And, what about the side table? Are you working out a new design; two this time?
Cool

That will be a nice sofa table. One advisement, however. Swoop the apron arch, unbroken, from leg to leg; without the landing strip shown presently. Like--I think--the horizontal arc is sketched. Continuous.  

The present table looks pretty good. But, you are right. It can be better. However, it's simply a minor tweak, a twitch. Your compromise? Different, but not too much?
Raised

Bruce
Thanks Bruce

The "landing strip" is for the tenon. 

[Image: SofaTableAprons_html_37bbbcc6.jpg]

The curve on the underside is more like this ..

[Image: 13a_zpswojszugd.jpg]

Ha! You spotted the Wegner chair!
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek
Nice looking table. Not too much of a departure from the existing piece. I presume that's entirely because the wife's preferences. At least for me, making nice things for the house, that the wife approves of, ensures smooth and unchallenged shop time.

Its unusual for me to see the extra work of laminiating maple veneer to pine. Typically one would just use solid maple for the aprons. I assume your motivation for this is because maple is an import for you down under? Here in the Northern forests of the US any sort of shortage of Maple would be unthinkable. Around here not many folks would use it for a prominent piece like a sofa table. It's mostly coveted for its durability as flooring, workbench tops, drawer boxes and similar applications.
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/
Quote:Its unusual for me to see the extra work of laminiating maple veneer to pine. Typically one would just use solid maple for the aprons. I assume your motivation for this is because maple is an import for you down under? 

Yes. Hard Maple is imported into Australia. We have a number of timbers that are given names, such as "Oak" and "Maple", but this was by the early settlers as the wood resembled what they were familiar with. Most of our trees are gums. I purchased a bunch of rough sawn Hard Maple boards for a kitchen build. The kitchen/living room is an open plan, and so the use of the maple for the sofa table is intended as a link.

The kitchen ...

[Image: 3a_zpsizouhhpv.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
One thing that has bothered me since I started sketching sofa tables is the boat shape, opposed to alternate straight line, of the top. Do opposing arcs work when a table is placed next to an overstuffed frame? I keep turning away from a curved surface edge against our more boxy furniture. Mission square will fit better.

But curves look good. And, feel better.

Just ruminating Derek. 
Wink
Thats a very nice looking kitchen. My first big project ever was to remodel my kitchen with new maple cabinets. I hope you used a high quality laquer becuase the light color of maple really shows off the nasty yellow tinge that poly eventually turns to. I speak from experience...
How do you know you're learning anything if you don't screw up once in awhile?

My blog: http://birdsandboards.blogspot.com/