I am putting together a Safety sheet for turning
(06-03-2017, 12:02 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: These are good guys.  How about mounting wood or using tools or more on sanding.  I know for me I sand in reverse with my hand on top of the turning and the dust goes right into the DC
If you have a locking chuck and reverse on the lathe, possible, of course, but why?  I cannot see the point of hand sanding.  Power sanding makes curves, not circumferential grooves, and thus is faster, not to mention if the operator uses a gentle touch, less likely to heat and harden the work.  Hand-hold sandpaper in contact that lightly and it'll run over the top - following the dust into the DC.  You do have a screen over the intake?  

I sand outside, slightly against the rotation, and the stream of dust flows down into the DC inlet on the ways.  Inside, I prefer not to handle my dust twice, so I work bottom out, and let the dust flow or push it out of the  6:00 into the DC inlet now held on the rear of the ways.  Gravity is good - use it.

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/GoodOnes...rt=3&o=298

Almost embarrassed to say I don't normally use a secondary mask except on irritating woods, and can't get a booger in a 16" bowl's worth of dust.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Because I love sanding and feeling how nice the wood gets after each grit. 
Yes   Yep I confessed before here that I love to sand and take my time doing so up to 1000 grit and depends on what I am working on to the fineness of the grit.  I do power sand with some bowls but even that I still do at least half of hand sanding.

And why I do so on reverse I have already said it before.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Leave the beer or any of your favorite beverage in the fridge until after the lathe is shut down for the day.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(06-05-2017, 06:49 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: Leave the beer or any of your favorite beverage in the fridge until after the lathe is shut down for the day.

Mel

Hmmm How did you learn that Mel.
Smirk  Hope not by trying it.
Laugh

I just thought of another one

Do not use sheetrock screws with a faceplate, use wood screws or machine screws.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

Nope,was always a rule in my shop.There were times buddies would come in with beer.The lathe was shut off and so were all other tools. Done for the day.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
3. Never put your hand on the spinning piece of wood -period. Why would you ever want to get in a habit of touching spinning wood? 
Confused
One day it will cost you.  
Mike

"Start off slow and taper off."
Mike

Thank you for chiming in.

If the wood is moving away from your hand either over it in reverse or under it in forward AND THE TOOL REST is removed you have no pinch points or anything else to hazard your hands or fingers.

However, do you have something about it that happened to you to make the comment?  If so add it.

I am always putting my hand on the spinning wood. Other than once getting a tiny cut from a sharp rim, no problems. I guess as long as there is lots of space between your finger and the tool rest, and the blank is rounded out, and you are pointing your fingers with the spin rather than into the spin, no problem. I don't do it on natural edge bowls though. 

Can't remember, but fatigue is as dangerous as any drugs. You make bad decisions. Those days are for when I sand or clean up the shop...

robo hippy
(06-10-2017, 11:02 PM)robo hippy Wrote: I am always putting my hand on the spinning wood. Other than once getting a tiny cut from a sharp rim, no problems. 

That delightful half cut, half burn you get from accidental or overt contact.  At least it's cauterized and doesn't bleed. 

The slick wheel on the opposite end of the spindle is there on purpose.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.
Well, no cauterizing at all for the one time I did it. Breaks the skin and blood flows. I am not using my hand to slow the lathe and wood down, I use my hand as a steady rest when turning wider platters and bowls, and just to feel the surface. 

robo hippy