Aquarium Stand, am I asking for trouble?
Came across this looking at what the "residential floor" could hold
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
First, I know absolutely nothing about this, not being an aquarium owner, but if I were to attempt this, given the weight involved, I would have a stout internal steel frame of angle iron supporting the edges of the tank, with wood being only a veneer (i.e., 3/4 face frame) covering up the ugly metal.  Good luck.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I don't think you are over thinking it.  And don't under estimate how well that stand in your photo was designed.  The upper rails are pretty stout, and the legs support them at the ends and two intermediate locations.   The legs at each side are connected via the shelves and there is a full length bottom stretcher at the back, too.  Both serve to reinforce the frame against wracking.  It's a well thought out design, IMO, it just has no panels, doors, or drawers. 

John