Inexpensive HVLP
Need some advice from the spraying experts here. I only make small projects for gifts for family, friends, neighbors, etc. No large furniture items. It's getting old dealing with rattle cans of shellac, lacquer and polyurethane, not to mention the expense. I only have a small compressor suitable for brad and pin nailers.

My question is about two sprayers from Rockler: I don't have item #s, but one is $70 (HomeRight) the other is $150 (partnered with Earlex). I called Rockler and the CS guy said he wouldn't recommend the HomeRight for lacquer due to the cleaning needs after use ( even if lacquer thinner is run through it).

So, I don't want to spend hundreds on a great HVLP system, just something better than rattle cans for small projects. Physically, at 79 years old, I'm beyond big items.

Any experience with either of these sprayers? Your advice/recommendations will be appreciated.

Jerry
I bought the two gun kit from Harbor Freight.  I use the HF gun to shoot solvent based material, and it works great for me.

I also have a Porter Cable HVLP.  It was more expensive, but it allows for needle size changes.  I use it to shoot thicker water borne matierals.
Thank You,

Shawn Craig

My Home Page
"I used to know a lot of things before I lost my mind."  Sylvia Stoner 1993

Since you only have a small compressor, I'd go with the Rockler Earlex rig, or an Earlex itself.  They will spray nearly anything you want if you get the appropriate needles/nozzles for it. 

John
Appreciate the responses guys.
I'll go with the $150 unit. Thanks.

Jerry
Hi everyone - I've been a long-time lurker on this forum but registered just now to ask Budglo (or any other user) how the $150 Rockler Earlex spray rig worked out. Were you happy with the results? I'm currently building a large entertainment center and will be painting to match the room. Given the size of the project and desire for a nice even finish, I'd like to spray the unit and was curious if this was a good entry-level model to use.

I have a Graco Project Plus for large outdoor products (fences, siding, etc.) but I don't believe it would be suitable for a furniture project. Since I don't do a lot of furniture painting I don't want to drop a ton of money on a nice rig yet. Would it be worth the $150 or should I do a more time intensive hand paint, sand, paint, etc.?
(10-25-2017, 10:14 AM)dmanderson21 Wrote: Hi everyone - I've been a long-time lurker on this forum but registered just now to ask Budglo (or any other user) how the $150 Rockler Earlex spray rig worked out. Were you happy with the results? I'm currently building a large entertainment center and will be painting to match the room. Given the size of the project and desire for a nice even finish, I'd like to spray the unit and was curious if this was a good entry-level model to use.

I have a Graco Project Plus for large outdoor products (fences, siding, etc.) but I don't believe it would be suitable for a furniture project. Since I  don't do a lot of furniture painting I don't want to drop a ton of money on a nice rig yet. Would it be worth the $150 or should I do a more time intensive hand paint, sand, paint, etc.?
dm..... sorry, I can't offer advice on the Rockler HVLP unit. Personal and family health issues have kept me out of the shop recently, even my shopping trips. From the comments above and my conversations with local purchasers of the $150 sprayer, I'm sure it will fit my needs perfectly and probably yours too. If you get the unit I'd like to know what you think of it. When all is back to normal here, I'll get it for my small projects.

Jerry
Sorry to hear that, Jerry - hope things get back to normal soon! I'll likely get the unit and will drop feedback after I use it.