Cleaning up a #605
I was cleaning a Bedrock #605 and needed to remove rust from the base. As you can see, it is in nice shape but covered in light brown rust.

[Image: DSCN3219.jpg]

Everything but the sole fit in the kitty litter container full of Evaporust. Oh my! What to do? Why, go to HD of course.

I bought some PVC pipe.

[Image: DSCN3228.jpg]

The #605 fit perfectly inside the 3" pipe.

[Image: DSCN3229.jpg]

I watch home shows a lot and it seems that even idiots can dope pipe. So I gave it a try. Lotsa squeeze out on the first try but I got better. At least I got the thing together soundly.

[Image: DSCN3232.jpg]

It is also nice to have a patternmakers vise.

[Image: DSCN3237.jpg]

The bed cleaned up well.

[Image: DSCN3239.jpg]

And fluffy shavings were the final result.

[Image: DSCN3244.jpg]

Now I can work on the wood and make it look nice.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Brilliant.
I have thought about that for soaking wood before bending. Did you put the cap on so you could tilt it?
Why three foot of pipe when eighteen inches would have done the same? Heck, the longest plane out there is twenty four inches, (No. 8) so I can only infer that the extra length is for some sort of other metal you need to dunk.
I glued a coupler and a cleanout plug on the end so I could store the Evaporust in the pipe. I figured that the cleanout would be easier to deal with than an endcap. The endcaps fit pretty tightly without glue. As for the length of pipe, that was decided in a very scientific fashion. It was what they had. Surely a tad too large for me but better than the 10 ft piece. I left it big because I am lazy.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I recently fell in love with an idea I saw "Hand Tool Rescue" guy on youtube... he keeps a 5 gallon bucket of evaporust, and a dipping basket... he opens the lid and dips whatever he wants in there.  Looks like a sweet setup...

Also garnered him an Evaporust Sponsorship...

But this would be super effective as well for the #5's and up that don't efficiently fit otherwise.
The Shopsmith forum dudes also have a few who have cleaned their long salvaged "way tubes" of rust this way.    Others of them put the tubes into sufficient chucking and supports to spin-sand them on the lathe.

Good clean fun!

Chris
Chris
I've resolved never to buy any project planes.  Famous last words, I know. I'll keep this in mind
Call me an outlier, but I've never felt the need to use any chemical media for cleaning up a plane; perhaps because I don't buy any true rustbuckets.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-02-2017, 03:18 PM)Admiral Wrote: Call me an outlier, but I've never felt the need to use any chemical media for cleaning up a plane; perhaps because I don't buy any true rustbuckets.

Correct. The finesse is on the buy side. You are a wise man who saves himself lots of time and trouble. I am a cheapskate bottom feeder and live on basket cases. The pitiful things just call out to me. I just melt.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com