Shipping tenon saws
Hi

I am looking to see what others are using to ship tenon saws and larger planes? I am thinking oh thinning the herd but the idea of shipping a long saw makes me cringe on cost and it getting there safely unbent

Thanks in advance

Andy
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
With the USPS, its by weight, the oversize of the package doesn't add all that much to the shipping, so one saw is not that expensive to ship in the lower 48.  You basically have to make a box from cardboard; I use a panel gauge (with a blade, not pin) to score the interior of the cardboard, then fold, and tape the box together, then I make the ends, same deal, score and fold.  It's pretty stout, I wrap the saw in bubble, then pack it top, bottom and ends with crumpled newspaper, and by the time I seal it up its plenty stiff enough to protect the saw plate.  I don't sell all that many saws, as sharpening them takes time and right now I don't have much to spare.  But the above works for me and I've never had an issue with a saw damaged in shipment.  It is sort of a PITA, but again, I don't do this several times a month so its no big deal.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I learned this shipping method from Bad Axe Tool Works and have used it for more than three years without a single damaged saw. The size of the box can easily be adjusted to match the size of the saw.

The best part is that the boxes are free and delivered to your door by the USPS.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
For saws, this is what you want.  Called a "game board box," it's a big, flat-rate USPS box, and it will easily handle a tenon saw.  I've even shipped full-sized panel saws in it, with the handles removed.  You can get them delivered free to your doorstep.  

For planes, the larger flat-rate boxes are good for anything up to a 4 1/2.  Otherwise, as recommended above, make your own cardboard box if you can't find one the right size.  If you have about 1" or more of space all around the item, you should be able to ship everything very safely.

Oh, and wood shavings make excellent packing material, if you stuff in enough of them.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
I've shipped a jointer plane in the game board box, by disassembling it (be sure to count all the parts and make sure they're all in the box - forgetting that step once cost me $6 in extra postage).