Another Mobile Base Project
when I was using this base on the DJ 20, the lifting mechanism wasn't the problem, it was the mushiness of the red oak I used for the crossbars. But it was over the rated weight of the base. I was thinking about using it on my lathe, but it isn't ideal for that so I'm probably going to come up with my own design for that.  I think I will try it on my bandsaw. I always felt that the DJ 20 was a little long for this base as well.  I can see how people would blame the lifting mechanism for any problem they had with the base though, I just don't think it is the problem.  

I just moved my metal lathe.  Iron pipe and crowbar for that.  At work, they have lifting dollys they use for that.  Wish I could afford some of those, but they cost quite a bit of money.
(12-19-2017, 01:37 PM)desertdave_woodworks Wrote: How well does the lifting mechanism work? Is it flimsy or well built. I\ve read sooo many cry baby reviews on rockler about this mobile base it makes me wonder. What you did here is awesome and I had the exact same idea of using metal vs wood. My only concern is the lifting device.

My 12" Delta RAS sits on my Delta modular base, with some maple as the cross bars, and the pedal in the middle at the front.  The cross bar will both twist and bend from the load the wheel imparts to it.  Not a big deal, but I guess you could call that flimsy.  Using steel tubes would make it very solid, though I rarely move the machine, and likely won't bother. 

It seems to have the same wheel with foot pedal as my Unisaw base, and that wheel is under the motor even though it has a 50+ inch fence and table.  Much more load on it than the RAS puts on it, and the RAS is far from light.

Just my opinion, and maybe the Delta base is heavier, but claims that the wheel if flimsy seems to be more an issue of the wood used as a cross bar and the fact that it's wood in the first place rather than a steel tube.

And nicely done, Tom.  
Cool
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
Very nice job on the new mobile base, ttt! In the past I've installed a piece of 3/4" plywood in my mobile bases, in theory for a little better weight distribution, and then put the machine on the plywood. Any pros and cons on this method?

Doug
(12-20-2017, 12:06 PM)EricU Wrote: when I was using this base on the DJ 20, the lifting mechanism wasn't the problem, it was the mushiness of the red oak I used for the crossbars. But it was over the rated weight of the base. I was thinking about using it on my lathe, but it isn't ideal for that so I'm probably going to come up with my own design for that.  I think I will try it on my bandsaw. I always felt that the DJ 20 was a little long for this base as well.  I can see how people would blame the lifting mechanism for any problem they had with the base though, I just don't think it is the problem.  

I just moved my metal lathe.  Iron pipe and crowbar for that.  At work, they have lifting dollys they use for that.  Wish I could afford some of those, but they cost quite a bit of money.

The shop fox super heavy duty mobile base is another option, if you are looking for something that comes with the square steel tubing cross members. Longer tubing extensions are available that allow it to be used for things like a lathe or jointer.  I never planned on moving my jointer after it was put in place, but a water leak forced me to.  Once it was moved I added the SF with the optional extensions to make the jointer mobile, just in case I ever wanted to move it again. Other than rolling it into place I haven't had a need to move it since  (knock on wood).  The jointer's shipping weight was a little over 1000 lbs. and actual weight under 1000 lbs.

I've been very happy with the retractable leg style casters and a custom made base that I made for a pm90 lathe.  The set of 4 casters was about $75 from amazon at the time. Example of the style below.

https://www.amazon.com/Leveling-Caster-N...ers+2.5%22.
My .02
Karl

The lifting device could be considered a weak point but it works fine on this bandsaw which is just under 500 lbs. I'd be wary of it on something much heavier. I have a Delta Unisaw with the Delta Mobile base with a similar lifting mechanism and it doesn't work as well, but that is primarily due to the weight of the extension table and the mechanism being in the center of the base.
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
I bypassed using a frame made from square tube and just mounted a step caster and rear wheels directly to the sub-base or frame of  all my machines.  For the rear wheels I removed standard non-swiveling wheels from the supplied brackets and mounted them in short sections of rectangular steel tube directly to the sub-base.  The steel tubes provide support for the axle bolts and protect the wheels.

[Image: P1310146.JPG]

[Image: P6080031.JPG]

[Image: P1290143.JPG]

[Image: P5070066.JPG]

[Image: P1310145.JPG]

I built a new frame for tablesaw's right extension table.  The extension is supported by two steel pieces of angle iron bolted to the front and rear of the cast iron table.  Two fixed wheels and two leveling elevator bolts support the body of the saw.  I moved the step caster to the right end.  Due to the long lever arm the saw/extension lift easily.  This really opens up the area under the extension table for a cabinet, etc.

[Image: P5160024.JPG]

[Image: P5220039.JPG]

[Image: P5080008.JPG]
(12-27-2017, 12:28 AM)lan in little Washington Wrote: I bypassed using a frame made from square tube and just mounted a step caster and rear wheels directly to the sub-base or frame of  all my machines. 
I've made a few wheel holders out of rectangular tubing as in your pictures.  Drilling the holes in the tubes weld seam is a true beach!  Wrecked a couple nice bits over the years due to the hardened weld not cooperating.   I've started using two piece of channel iron welded at the ends so the axle holes can be drilled in virgin steel.
WoodNET... the new safespace
I keep intending to sit down and design something for my lathe.  It just barely has to clear the ground to work.  I would like something that lowers and retracts casters on both ends of the lathe.  Someone sells something like that, but it puts the lathe 5" up in the air.