Clifton 450 Multiplane
What are your thoughts about this plane compared to offerings from Veritas (small plough plane)? I have never used this type of plane and curious if this is a good one to start with.
I've never held a Clifton multiplane in my hands; but, from the photos, it looks very similar to a Stanley 45, which I have held in my hands, more than once.

Some people find the 45s awkward to set up; I've never had that problem with mine.  If you're getting the various cutters with it, you'll be able to make more shapes than the LV small plough will, even with the add-on kit and cutters.
It is a (nice) copy of the Stanley #45 and is a nice plane to use. I use my #45 a lot and even have a spare body loaded with a 1/8" cutter for making small grooves. Most projects have a thin groove somewhere. The plane also makes nice beads and rabbets.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(06-03-2017, 01:12 PM)wrb Wrote: What are your thoughts about this plane compared to offerings from Veritas (small plough plane)? I have never used this type of plane and curious if this is a good one to start with.

I think that you will find that 90% of Stanley #45 owners rarely use more than a few of the blades (if they use it at all!). You have to ask yourself which of the blades you are likely to use.

For myself, I would use the plane for grooving primarily, and then for dados, rebates, and beads. I have a dedicated LN tongue-and-groove plane, but if I did not, then I would want this facility in the plane as well.

Ask yourself, also, of all these cuts, which would you use mainly? That is, how would the plane be set up and used 90% of the time? For myself, it would be as a plough for grooves.

This line of thinking says I want a plough plane that can also dado, rebate and bead (OK, T&G if you do not have a dedicated plane). The ideal plane, if purchasing new, is going to be the forthcoming Veritas Large Plow Plane. If you are considering, as it seems, a Small Plow, then I would suggest you wait a while. Alternately, the Small Plow will do all of the above except the dadoing. Keep in mind that this end result is about me, not you. What are your needs?

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Sounds like Clifton would be a good place to start.

Derek, I am guessing you have been testing the Veritas large plough plane. I understand that I may never use some of the cutters with Clifton. Based on your experience with Veritas, does Clifton have some significant downsides? You asked about my needs. I usually cut rabbets, dadoes, infrequently beads, etc using power tools. I simply would like to try using hand tools instead.
A simple, quick check of most of the projects I post here, will show just how many cutters from the Stanley #45 I do USE.  
Grooves?  Yep, a lot
dados?   Yep, one uses it to make drawers, right?
Beads?   Been used quite a few times...
Match?   Tongue & Groove, the easy way. 
Sash?  have used this cutter quite a bit, while building the Shop Dresser Project.

Which leaves the slitter.....still working on that one.

Hollows & Rounds....?   Yep, there was cutters for both.   

Then there are the ones the #55 uses....and leaves so-called Small Plow planes in the dust.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(06-04-2017, 12:05 AM)wrb Wrote: Sounds like Clifton would be a good place to start.

Derek, I am guessing you have been testing the Veritas large plough plane. I understand that I may never use some of the cutters with Clifton.  Based on your experience with Veritas, does Clifton have some significant downsides?  You asked about my needs.  I usually cut rabbets, dadoes, infrequently beads, etc using power tools. I simply would like to try using hand tools instead.

I am not sure if one can buy a Clifton combination plane anymore. When they sold, my memory is they were 4 figures.

I do have a Stanley #45, and it has remained little used on a shelf for a few decades. I would rather use dedicated planes that require little setting up. The Veritas Small Plane was one such dedicated user for ploughing grooves. Then Lee Valley began to expand the range of the plane. My feeling about this is that there is a difference with the #45 - with the Small Plow, one can choose the accessories one needs/wants. I assume that the same will be the case with the Large Plow. The other factor that one takes into account is that the Veritas is a taut plane - everything works well, nothing needs tuning, and the blades work out of the box. Every blade on my #45 needed to be lapped, and the adjustments are fiddly by comparison. Of course, if all you can afford is the #45, then it is an amazing design and plane for its time. I am not meaning to knock those who like and use theirs. This is just my experience.

I have been testing the Large Plow. I think I posted something here about that a while ago. The question is "how will I use this plane?". It adjusts very quickly from single- to double skate to use as a dado plane. Mostly I see it as a more powerful and comfortable plough for grooves. I can see using it for beads. I do have a dedicated rebate plane and a dedicated T&G plane. I have used the Large Plow in every conceivable mode, and it is easy to set up (more so that the Small Plow), has a superlative adjustable depth stop, and just feels taut in use.

[Image: 4a_zpsvkfxf5w6.jpg]

[Image: 1a_zpsrpr7hvtx.jpg]

[Image: 3a_zpsesiyc8xx.jpg]

[Image: 9a_zpsymrwqsrh.jpg]

[Image: 7a_zpsvdxwaoet.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Record also made a combo plane,  The 045.    And, there are quite a few of those out there.  No need to wait a few YEARS for some copycat to try to match what is already out there, ready to go to work.  

As for the 55....it will tilt to make a lot of moldings a simple, no matter how large, plough plane can do......without an add-on set-up...for each job.  Just turn a knob.

and..

or...

Maybe try a little sash cutting.

Or, maybe just a wide rebate?   1-1/4" wide filister iron can do it....

Or just make a few beads.....whatever size you want, how many you want.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
+1 for Record 045. Seems a number are available on the auction site. I've got two (a long story). Work well with sharp blades. Box is fragile; plane is stout. I've made a replacement box for one, thinking of doing the same for the second. Plan to offer one at some point.

Record blades are very hard and hold an edge for quite a while, I've found. Good stuff.
Fair winds and following seas,
Jim Waldron
(06-04-2017, 09:26 AM)Jim Waldron Wrote: +1 for Record 045.  Seems a number are available on the auction site.  I've got two (a long story).  Work well with sharp blades.  Box is fragile; plane is stout.  I've made a replacement box for one, thinking of doing the same for the second.  Plan to offer one at some point.  

Record blades are very hard and hold an edge for quite a while, I've found.  Good stuff.

I store my #45s in a plastic tool box. That way I don't have to tear the plane down after each use.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com