More finds and a "whatsit?"
had a decent weekend and thought I'd share some pics. I'm also hoping that someone can tell me what one of the tools is
Laugh
Laugh  I got lucky in that this first batch of tools came from the shop of a really, really good woodworker who took good care of his tools.
[Image: IMG_5096.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5097.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5098.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5099.jpg]
The back saw is a Woodrough and McParlin and its in great condition. There's a NOS Starrett 622R rule still in the cellophane. Then I found this tool box.
[Image: IMG_5102.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5103.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5104.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5105.jpg]
I was initially taken by the latches on the side. Obviously, there are quite a few tools in it, but there's nothing too much outside the norm other than a pair of Stanley 89 clapboard tools. There was also this.
[Image: IMG_5100.jpg]
[Image: IMG_5101.jpg]
If anyone can tell me what it is, I'd appreciate it. Thanks for looking!!
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
For masonry/pointing mortar?
It is a handle for a sad iron.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
YOU SUCK!!! Dave I went to that Estate sale specifically for that box in Ballston Lake, I saw you walking out with it as I was heading in. Just curious if you don't mind me asking what did they charge for the box?

Oh and did you get the 1st batch of tools from that toy makers estate over in Nisky?
Dave, the saw in front, a Diston 9? Great looking tool box. Any history on it?
(06-06-2017, 12:27 PM)UpstateNYdude Wrote: YOU SUCK!!! Dave I went to that Estate sale specifically for that box in Ballston Lake, I saw you walking out with it as I was heading in. Just curious if you don't mind me asking what did they charge for the box?

Oh and did you get the 1st batch of tools from that toy makers estate over in Nisky?

I don't mind at all. She charged me $175. I was going to leave it, but decided to take it anyway. There was what I thought was a nice old #4 in there, but when I got it home I realized that the frog was broken. I was the one running the sale in Nisky, so I got first dibs.
Smirk  Most of the tools pictured came from that sale. There was a LOT more there that I probably should have grabbed, but why be greedy.
Laugh
Laugh
(06-06-2017, 12:35 PM)theoldfart Wrote: Dave, the saw in front, a Diston 9? Great looking tool box. Any history on it?

All I know is that the woman running the sale told me the guy was a "master woodworker", which is what all the people running estate sales say. BTW, I'll check the saw. I still have that hammer set.
(06-06-2017, 11:08 AM)enjuneer Wrote: It is a handle for a sad iron.

[Image: s-l300.jpg]

Thanks!! Is there any way to cheer it up?
Slap
(06-06-2017, 02:57 PM)DaveParkis Wrote: I don't mind at all. She charged me $175. I was going to leave it, but decided to take it anyway. There was what I thought was a nice old #4 in there, but when I got it home I realized that the frog was broken. I was the one running the sale in Nisky, so I got first dibs.
Smirk  Most of the tools pictured came from that sale. There was a LOT more there that I probably should have grabbed, but why be greedy.
Laugh
Laugh

That's not bad at all I would have gladly paid that. Were you the gentlemen downstairs in the dark long sleeve with the glasses, if so it was a pleasure to make your acquaintance as you were the guy helping me box up the stuff I got and were quite helpful. What were the carving chisels he had? I'd never heard of Honey Craft before even though I think you told me they were Swiss made.
Dave,

I think the "sad" may apply to the user, rather than the tool.  Imagine picking that thing up, hot from the woodstove, to iron your clothes; and then picking up another one as soon as the one under your hand cooled off.

Bill

P.S.: got curious and looked it up.  In 1738, when the first appearance of the word is recorded, "sad" meant compact and heavy.  "Iron" meant what it means today.