Should I buy this lathe?
I think that that is a really neat old lathe that takes up a lot of floor space and wall space.

The electrical knife switches and the old wiring are not really issues.

Deciding what you have to give up in the shop in exchange for the coolness factor and the small increase in capacity over what you already have would be a difficult thing for me to do in your shoes.

On the positive side, with the proper re0furb, I expect that it will have less run-out than your current mini-lathe. I can not tell from the picture whether or not it would give you enough length to turn table legs.

It is the sort of machine that I would truly hate to go to scrap, but the expense in shop space is big.

The last Shopsmith that I bought sort of fell into that same category. I did turn down the next SS after that one that was offered to me (that one would probably have been free or less) because I really could not justify a 7th SS.
Rolleyes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I bought it. I didn't know it was like a mini Shopsmith and ended up missing a few of the attachments. I've started another thread about identifying the pieces I do have. Capacity is really small, but I couldn't let it go to the scrap yard.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
(06-13-2017, 09:56 AM)DaveParkis Wrote: I bought it. I didn't know it was like a mini Shopsmith and ended up missing a few of the attachments. I've started another thread about identifying the pieces I do have. Capacity is really small, but I couldn't let it go to the scrap yard.

What in the world did you put in that other thread that has already gotten it poofed?
Raised

I definitely hope that this is a fun machine for you.
Yes
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

Blush 
Blush  Well this is embarrassing. The thread is on a different forum. I found a guy who has one who might be able to tell me what all the parts are for. I will get a thread going here on the lathe. It's like a really old and really small Shopsmith.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$

Laugh
Laugh  Sure. Stick to that story. It sounds better than getting a thread poofed upstairs.
Winkgrin
Laugh
Laugh

You've seen part of my herd of Shopsmiths, so you know that I am a fan. I am looking forward to hearing how your new lathe is like them. One good way that yours is different is that it does not have a Reeve's drive to do maintenance on.

Is it too late to go back and get the other attachments?

Even if you cannot get them, it would be nice to educate us about what they are. I'm curious (and not Chinese
Winkgrin  ).