Small Atkins Backsaw
At a flea market this weekend, I picked up an 8" long Atkins backsaw for $10. It appears to be filed as a 14 point crosscut saw. Is this an unusual size saw? I took some pictures, but currently have no way to post them on line. So far all I did was clean the grease and dirt off the handle. I want to make sure this is something I can clean up without destroying it's value. Thanks.
They're not common, but I wouldn't consider them unusual, in the sense of "collectible."  Atkins saws aren't as well known as Disston, but they're respected.

Later edit: I should clarify that I was speaking generally, not specifically about Atkins saws; I'm not familiar with their product line.
Thanks. When I did a search, I found 10" and 12" saws but no reference to an 8" saw.
Is that a gents' saw style or the usual pistol-grip backsaw you found?

Chris
Chris
Atkins is a worthy saw.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(06-06-2017, 06:07 PM)Admiral Wrote: Atkins is a worthy saw.
Yep...and the 8" size is pretty "uncommon" by any maker.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

It is not a gents saw. It has a full handle similar to other Atkins hand saws but on a smaller scale. It is not a pistol grip.
Millers Falls made a small mitre box that would use that type of saw...The #16-1/2?    There was also the #15......Atkins may have made that saw for them...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Sorry, no pic's, didn't happen!
I took pictures of the saw but currently have no way to post them. I will forward a copy of the pictures to anyone who can post them here for me. Thanks.