New kitchen floor
(06-15-2017, 10:14 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: That looks terrific. 

What are you going to use for base?

Thanks.  The base moldings are a mix of maple around the cabinets, and standard modern base along the walls.  With those 1/2" gaps now, and a couple of spots where it's even a bit more, I'm going to have to make new moldings around the cabinets and probably do something different on the walls, too.  The molding is going to have to be around 3/4" thick to cover the gap and allow for shrinkage.  The cabinet moldings have no profile so I can just use solid stock, although there are radiused corners in some places which require kerf cutting the molding so it will bend around the corner.  Not hard to do though.  The modern baseboard molding is around 9/16" thick so I'm either going to have to add something on the back of it or buy a router bit and make new, thicker moldings.  The simplest thing is probably to just add a piece of solid stock to the back of the standard molding, maybe set it a tad higher and create a shadow line.  I'll have to mock it up to see which is best. 

At the moment I'm finishing the drywall repair in the half bath so I can paint it and then install a new toilet. 

Which brings me to a question.  What toilet should I buy?  I don't need nor want a $700 toilet, but I'm leery of ones that cost $100.  Plain white will do fine, elongated design, right height, doesn't clog, low water volume not important. What do you like, have had good experience with, etc.?  Thanks very much.  

John
(06-16-2017, 10:11 AM)jteneyck Wrote:  

At the moment I'm finishing the drywall repair in the half bath so I can paint it and then install a new toilet. 

Which brings me to a question.  What toilet should I buy?  I don't need nor want a $700 toilet, but I'm leery of ones that cost $100.  Plain white will do fine, elongated design, right height, doesn't clog, low water volume not important. What do you like, have had good experience with, etc.?  Thanks very much.  

John

The one that costs 199.99 
Winkgrin
Winkgrin
Winkgrin

Seriously it does not have to be expensive to be functional meeting all your criteria. 

floor looks good too. 
Cool
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(06-16-2017, 10:11 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks.  The base moldings are a mix of maple around the cabinets, and standard modern base along the walls.  With those 1/2" gaps now, and a couple of spots where it's even a bit more, I'm going to have to make new moldings around the cabinets and probably do something different on the walls, too.  The molding is going to have to be around 3/4" thick to cover the gap and allow for shrinkage.  The cabinet moldings have no profile so I can just use solid stock, although there are radiused corners in some places which require kerf cutting the molding so it will bend around the corner.  Not hard to do though.  The modern baseboard molding is around 9/16" thick so I'm either going to have to add something on the back of it or buy a router bit and make new, thicker moldings.  The simplest thing is probably to just add a piece of solid stock to the back of the standard molding, maybe set it a tad higher and create a shadow line.  I'll have to mock it up to see which is best. 

John

The best bang for the buck in toilets is the one that sams club sells. I have 3 and two in my parents house.  They flush as well as a toto and at around $80 its a steal. The ones in our house are 6 years old and work like new. They clean very easily as well. 
               They are "comfort" height elongated bowl with #1 and #2 buttons. Even the softclose seat is pretty decent.
(06-16-2017, 04:07 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:             The best bang for the buck in toilets is the one that sams club sells. I have 3 and two in my parents house.  They flush as well as a toto and at around $80 its a steal. The ones in our house are 6 years old and work like new. They clean very easily as well. 
               They are "comfort" height elongated bowl with #1 and #2 buttons. Even the softclose seat is pretty decent.

Thanks very much.  I've never noticed them at my local Sam's but I'm going to look at their website and go from there. 

John
(06-16-2017, 09:04 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Thanks very much.  I've never noticed them at my local Sam's but I'm going to look at their website and go from there. 

John

We have 3 sams within a short drive. The closest that we usually go to is about a half hour away(right down the street in tx terms). It has more stuff than the hulen store. 

Costco has a one piece toilet but i have not tried it and wont as im going to cancel our memnership there. No matter what time you go the lones are very long and the last trip there i had enough and just left the cart and walked out. They havent kept up with the times like sams has. No self check out, cant use your phone to scan and pay for items and skip the register, very few and poorly placed locations, cant check inventory at a store on the website and order online for in store pickup. Yeah just tired of an antiquated store and poor customer service. No wonder they are having to raise membership fees again to make up for customer loss...
Sure enough, that toilet is on Sam's Club website and showed as available in my local store, and there it was when I walked in today.  They had one on display and it looks like it will do nicely for the half bath.  Reviews are mixed but most seem to like it, with the largest number of complaints I remember being scum/hard to clean at the water line.  

Anyone else have a favorite, value priced one they like? 

John