Screwdriver modification
Hey all,

I've always been a huge fan of the old "Perfect Handle" style screwdrivers (including knockoffs from that era). I think they look awesome, are built like tanks, and feel good in the hand. I've managed to pick up a small collection of them through the years in different lengths/sizes/conditions. However, due to the major downfall of them only being made in flathead (and the rarity with which I use flatheads), they mostly collect dust.

Well, I decided to change that. I picked the one in the worst condition (very rusted/pitted with decaying scales) to experiment with and used a wire wheel to get the rust off. I started by cutting the flathead end off. I really had to talk myself into that, as I hate irreversibly damaging a tool. Then I MIG welded on a Wera magnetic bit holder, filed the weld smooth, and added desert ironwood scales. I tried to keep as much of the patina and pitting as possible as a nod to the age of the screwdriver, which is distinctly different from the new bit holder.

I haven't had a chance to use it much yet, but it feels amazing in my hands and I'm really happy with the finished product. Hopefully I can honor this tool with many more years of solid use instead of banishing it to a drawer. Obviously, no hammering on the butt of this one.

Only thing I wish I could have done differently is add a ratcheting mechanism, but those tend to add too much bulk (in terms of diameter) for what I wanted.

Tyler

Attached Files Image(s)

Very nice modification. I like it.
Jim
http://ancorayachtservice.com/ home of the Chain Leg Vise.
That's pretty cool!

Do you do many scales like that (i.e., no rivets), by the way?   I did a couple with some rivets, but the rivets tended to get loose in some seasons of the year.

Chris
Chris
That is a clever idea and well executed.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Very well done- great morph!
Big Grin
Thanks all.

Chris, I'm not personally a fan of the look of rivets, as I really just want the wood to shine through, so I frequently avoid using them. Yes, I know they're often there for structural purposes, especially sheer stresses. The scales are glued on with a full-strength epoxy and both the metal and wood were scarified/dimpled to allow extra surface area for the epoxy to grab. The (cleaned up) pitting in the metal under the old scales gives some great spots for the glue to grab. I don't do tons of scales, but have a handful that I've done without rivets and have never had one fall of (yet).

Tyler

Cool
Cool 
I've got a couple that just hold the drawers down. Nice modification!!
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I was attracted to the Perfect Handle design for a while as well, until I realized they only come in flat head. I really like your modification and now I need look at that option some more. Well Done.
Weird looking screwgy, but if it works for you, it's a 10.  Most of my life I appreciated the "craftsman" tool we'll take it back if it messes up. I think I would "modify" 2 or 3 Craftsman screwgies a week when I was doing trades work. After using that modification I'd bring it back and swap it for a new untampered one. Bummer the day I went in with a handful of "modified" screwdrivers, and the dood said we don't do that anymore. Haven't bought anything from Sears since. I heard they were going Gone............

Likely made in Chiner, these can be made better with a wee bit of sanding the rough edges on the handles, the blades are pretty gnarly, and will pop open a paint can in a second. DAMHIKT
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW