Learning about boxjoints
Another vote here for the block plane. I own three. One is an antique Stanley 102 I bought for $5 at a yard sale and tuned it up. Another is the very nice Lee Valley and the third is a bronze Lie Nielsen. 

All three can do the job.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Also not suggested, but what I strive to do is not make a joint without that "built in" work, and I cut mine just deep enough to mate, but leave me no appreciable work to clean up. A light any of those ideas mentioned will finish your corners quickly, and if you are removing just a little over, there is much less chance of tearout.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Gee if I made a box joint that protruded 1/32" I'd be ecstatic that I could "fix" that issue relatively easily.
The built in work of being off a little other way - fingers recessed - makes me always a bit long. Planing off 1/32" is quick and rewarding work.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(06-13-2017, 12:01 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: Gee if I made a box joint that protruded 1/32" I'd be ecstatic that I could "fix" that issue relatively easily.

I invested in an I-box a few years ago when they came out, and you can make them dead nutz if you want to. I really like box joints for many small projects, so it was a great investment. YMMV.

I box
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Wife gave me an ibox as a gift and you can do amazing things with it. I really like it.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Maybe others work differently, but to me making the fingers a little long saves time during glueup compared to exact length fingers. That's because it is a pain during glueup to make sure no trace winds up on endgrain where it would show under a finish. With slightly proud fingers you can quickly apply glue, and easily plane off the endgrain.
For a small box, my 12" disc sander works fast and easy.