recommended bed post connectors?
Wanting to design and build a king sized bed using 6x6" posts. No particular design just yet, still thinking.
Would probably be a lot easier to purchase bedpost connectors and wondering which ones are strong and do not move or creak or groan or anything.
Any experienced users and recommendations?
My alternative of course are tenons and or half laps, etc.  Need to make this decision before designing.
Thank you.
Do the rails need to be removable?  I've made beds with 1/2 laps and fastened them with bolts, but I find too much movement with that system.  I've put a piece of old bicycle tire rubber between the laps and that has stopped the creaking.
              -Howard
I dont like any of the bed hardware as none of them really have any strength and most all make noise. I much prefer to mortice and tennon and bolt in place or similar construction. Now i build all beds as platform beds as you gain allot of storage and you can easily put the bed much higher which is more comfortable than the old low height for people 4'5" tall.....
The best if doing a mortise doesn't freak you out.

[Image: wood-bed-frame-parts-ztqr3q9d.jpg]

Seeing that I do M&T joinery all the time, I've not used the "no mortise variety" but these seem robust enough that they should work just fine
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I've done seven beds with these and they work well.  https://www.wwhardware.com/selby-extra-h...ings-syk74
I've tried and seen quite a few variations or bed fasteners tried and nothing I have seen works as well as good old fashion bed bolts. I use them on everything. Below is a link to the Lee valley version. I use period reproduction bed bolts on my pieces but you can also buy regular bolts and square nuts from Home Depot that work just as well for a fraction of the cost. They are absolutely rock solid. I have yet to see any commercial connector that creates a joint without some play in it.

http://www.leevalley.com/us/hardware/pag...0842,41269
(06-10-2017, 12:23 PM)Steve N Wrote: The best if doing a mortise doesn't freak you out.

[Image: wood-bed-frame-parts-ztqr3q9d.jpg]

Seeing that I do M&T joinery all the time, I've not used the "no mortise variety" but these seem robust enough that they should work just fine
I have used these type of fasteners on several.  I always have a hard time getting them adjusted so that they fit tight but not impossible to connect.  In the end I just end op adding a piece of angle iron in the inside corners to pull it all together.  It's rock sold and doesn't squeak.  Easy enough to remove
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(06-11-2017, 01:29 PM)CARYinWA Wrote: I have used these type of fasteners on several.  I always have a hard time getting them adjusted so that they fit tight but not impossible to connect.  In the end I just end op adding a piece of angle iron in the inside corners to pull it all together.  It's rock sold and doesn't squeak.  Easy enough to remove

These are finnicky, but used to be rock solid once 'right'.  The set I used last a couple years ago don't seem to be of the same quality as 15 or so years back.
KC, remember we live in an age of cheap knock offs. On these use a reputable seller, and the good ones aren't so cheap. Metals vary, but the cheap ones like these are really junk.

Dave's bed bolts have merit for strength, but if anyone had trouble with alignment with the standard hanger like I showed a pic of, the bed bolts will be a nightmare. Not only precise alignment, but on a crossing joint that is essentially blind to itself, until you join it. If installed correctly they work very well. I think I dated myself some here. The ones I chose are from when I was just a boy. The bed bolts Dave showed are actually barrel nuts, and I thought they were newfangled newfangled. Maybe last 20 years.

These were bed bolts when I was a lad, similar, but more of a fanagle than the barrel  Those old flat nuts weren't so agreeable about staying put while you wormed the bolt home.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(06-11-2017, 04:19 PM)Steve N Wrote: KC, remember we live in an age of cheap knock offs. On these use a reputable seller, and the good ones aren't so cheap. Metals vary, but the cheap ones like these are really junk.

I believe the ones I used years back were from Woodcraft... and they weren't cheap.  Last ones were from Rockler.  For whatever that's worth.