Shop heat
Phil
Mine is located at the other end of my work area.Every month I take the cover off and blow the dust out.As far as solvents,never had an issue.My basement shop is roughly 20x40,I use the smaller unit and have not had an issue in the 3 years I have been using it.I have the smaller unit which doesn't have a fan.My unit on the main floor of my house has a fan,but I shut it off for the summer on May 4th.Good luck in your search for a heat source.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I guess there is an advantage to living in warmer winter Texas. The old 600w 42" flat TV with a weird picture keeps my shop warm and I get to watch/listen to good shows or music while I work.
I would love to have warmer winters,but couldn't handle the Texas summers.Just proves,ya can't have everything.
Laugh
Laugh

Mel
(06-13-2017, 10:17 AM)chips ahoy Wrote: I would love to have warmer winters,but couldn't handle the Texas summers.Just proves,ya can't have everything.
Laugh  
Laugh

Mel

I'd say the way things are going, you'll be getting your warmer winters.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Fred
Could you email that to me and sign it?
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

Mel
(06-12-2017, 12:29 PM)Phil S. Wrote: Thanks for the replies gents!  

Fred - I wish LP was an option.  There is a gas dealer here, but installation might be a problem.  I need to find out how big a tank would necessary.  Access to my place for a bigger truck like one for gas delivery is sketchy and not reliable during the winter (1/2 mile steep driveway with snow and ice).  I'd be looking at one delivery in the autumn to last the winter.  I'm too geezerly to move say a 100# cylinder out to my place by myself.  Would also need to get an estimate on installation cost and running a gas line from where a vehicle can get to, about 120' from the house.

Mel - that Steffes heater looks really interesting.  I checked their web site and the downside is their nearest dealer is in Whitehorse, a 4 hour ferry ride, a 130 mile drive north of Skagway and crossing an international border.  Not that that will stop me, but it sounds like this is a dealer installed piece of equipment.  I'll check with them and see if a DIY approach is possible.

Daddo - My house is built on pilings and my shop is under it.  I replaced the skirting with 2X4 walls, T-111 sheathing, vapor barrier, fiberglass insulation and sheet rock and added a floor instead of the dirt that was there.  There might be a bit I could do with some weather stripping, but I don't think I can gain much more efficiency.

fishbh4 - I looked at Dayton heaters.  They do make a 7.5 kw one.  It looks identical to the Fahrenheat heater I was looking at except for the Dayton sticker on the front and a 3X higher price tag.  They could both be made in the same Chinese factory.

Splinter puller - Our neighborhood just had new transformers installed by the local utility and new service run to each house.  The electrician working on that recommended against base board heaters for the shop.  I think he was looking at the difficulty of installation versus a suspended forced air heater, like the Fahrenheat.

Paul - I'm in SE Alaska.  I looked into heat pumps, but I think the weather here is too cold for them to be workable.  It's not as cold as it is inland, but temps in the teens aren't unusual.  Coldest I've seen here is about -5°.  I'm a bit leery of a heat source that works the worst when you need it the most.

Thanks again guys.  My head scratching continues.

I paid less than 300 for mine from a greenhouse supply place .
The honeywell thermostat is the one i used . My 5 kw has done the job on some pretty cold days .
lots of choices you can go cheaper

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Phil,

Yes, Alaska is too far north for a heat pump.  Maybe for heating the shop in the summer, but not the winter. 
Wink

Paul
Paul
They were right, I SHOULDN'T have tried it at home!