Digging A Sump In A Stream
(06-13-2017, 03:16 PM)crokett™ Wrote:   The alternative to not doing this is to spend several hundred dollars to rent a trencher and pull water about 400' from the nearest water line, or hand carry water to an ever-growing herd of goats.

You have a history of doing things on the cheap.... I don't think trenching pipe for 400' is that big of a deal. We trenched 200' in less than an hour, you're really only looking at a half day rental. I think your bucket will continually fill with sediment and your sump pump won't like it. It doesn't take much to stop an impeller on one.

It's your time... but I'd rather spend a couple hundred on a rental and pipe versus tearing apart a sump pump, flushing with clean water and shoveling out the bucket. Besides, sump pumps aren't cheap...
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

Good for you. I don't know what kind of soil you have, or how big your trencher was. Here, it's an ordeal. last summer I helped my dad trench about the same 400', between the clay, rocks, stuff like caliche, roots, the odd sheet metal and whatnot it took all day. we were lucky to get 50' an hour. the guys that did my house water line only had to go 80' from the well. after the first 10 they gave up on the trencher and went and got a back hoe. I'm told the PoCo with one of the much larger ditchwitches ended up using a back hoe to get my power in from the transformer. There's still a small pile of football sized rocks in the woods from that. My experience with trenching anything at 3 different places here is you're better off with a back hoe. I'm not using a sump pump. I'm using a smaller 12V pump that will hang a few inches above the bottom of the sump. I've already considered the mud but I'll wait and see if its an issue.
Have you decided on an approach to dig the hole for the sump??
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
yes. coffer dam or similar structure to divert the water around the work area in the existing stream bed. I'll have to see if the stream is wide enough to divert.
Explosives?
Rolleyes KABOOOM! there is a hole. Throw the bucket in and fill back in around it. Ask the neighbors if they heard the sonic boom.
Crazy

My boss is a Jewish carpenter. Our DADDY owns the business.
Trying to understand some people is like trying to pick up the clean end of a turd.