Bill H. you harassing magazine authors again!!
Anyone see our in----famous Bill Houghton in the June 2017 Fine Wood Working? It has to be the third time I've seen the name there. I must be on their block list. He sure isn't.

Anyway, I had to chuckle. Unlike Bill, the author has no sense of humor, but I did drop my jaw at his response. He actually described building a trammel with 30-foot radius arm to strike a curve. That's about the time I go out to my scrap pile and find a bendy, whippy stick and play indians with my new bow.

I guess you do what you gotta do......
Yeah, I was surprised to find that he did, indeed, build that long a trammel arm.  I would have a heck of a time keeping something like that aligned without a helper - and my stock of teenage helpers ran out more than 20 years ago!

I have no criticism of the author: his reply was straightforward.
I wondered if his shop was that large. Or, he took it all out to the driveway.
If you attach two straightedges together with a pencil at the intersection, you can draw an arc with a radius larger than the room you are in. Just slide the straightedges along two pins.

Here's a description with figure, taken from an old book: http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/mechanics...75RGfldWJs
I suppose the hints for drawing large arcs are reprinted over and over again in Fine Homebuilding, and they don't read each other's magazines
(06-11-2017, 04:37 PM)Alan S Wrote: If you attach two straightedges together with a pencil at the intersection, you can draw an arc with a radius larger than the room you are in.  Just slide the straightedges along two pins.

Here's a description with figure, taken from an old book: http://chestofbooks.com/crafts/mechanics...75RGfldWJs

Holy Crap!! That's a foreign language. No wonder Cullen tacked sticks together! I'm using my bow.
Using that method isn't that hard. You don't even need the math. To extend a circle mark three points on a big sheet of paper or whatever. If you line up the center mark and one of the other marks, the third will still be on the arc even if it is not on the original arc. This is how you can describe a large circle arc on a story stick. It just takes one point on one side of the rule and two points on the other side.
toolmakingart.com

When you have eliminated all unnecessary wood, then whatever remains, however well formed, is too small to serve as originally intended.
(07-28-2017, 05:31 PM)CedarSlayer Wrote: Using that method isn't that hard. You don't even need the math. To extend a circle mark three points on a big sheet of paper or whatever. If you line up the center mark and one of the other marks, the third will still be on the arc even if it is not on the original arc. This is how you can describe a large circle arc on a story stick. It just takes one point on one side of the rule and two points on the other side.

Ya, shurrrr.... ???? Pro meo lingua graeca est!
The curves in the ceiling and walls of my van are arcs of a circle with radius about 10 feet. Too often, I'd pick up a scrap and think it "warped" before remembering its origin.
Carolyn

Trip Blog for Twelve Countries:   [url=http://www.woodworkingtraveler.wordpress.com[/url]

"It's good to know, but it's better to understand."  Auze Jackson
Even a cheap compass like we all used in school years ago, can
teach you a lot. No math needed.
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me